Fossils to be identified

Miocene_Mason

Here's some Carbondale (llewellyn formation) finds, any ideas?

note: sorry about the oblique angles on some, it's hard to see striations on some without it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Obverse of last one

image.jpg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

These are similar to other larger ones I posted, but the thread got no comments

image.jpg

image.jpg

One last thing right now, think they are branches

image.jpg

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, WhodamanHD said:

These are similar to other larger ones I posted, but the thread got no comments

image.jpg

image.jpg

One last thing right now, think they are branches

image.jpg

The first comment you have, I think the first specimen is a Calamites sp. The others I'm not sure, maybe Calamites sp. as well. Hard to tell.

Rest look like branches to me.

Keep up the good work man. Pretty soon you'll be finding those ferns and insects!  ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

These (especially the first picture) remind me of specimens I find here in the Kansas City area Pennsylvanian, Winterset formation.  I can't help with the ID. :(  But, Ill be interested to see if others confirm EMP's Calamites id.

Russ

12 hours ago, EMP said:

The first comment you have, I think the first specimen is a Calamites sp. The others I'm not sure, maybe Calamites sp. as well. Hard to tell.

Rest look like branches to me.

Keep up the good work man. Pretty soon you'll be finding those ferns and insects!  ;) 

Thanks, those were my suspicions as well, should be able to put them on the report thread (describing my trip to carbondale) with that. I don't know if I'll ever get any insects, but hope springs eternal! I think there is a hiking trail over sideling hill, probably some rocks on that...

Happy hunting,

Mason

the google earth image shows a lot of active mining and reclamation in carbondale. Should be many more opportunities there. Is Tower City viable for plant fossils any more? Used to be a lot of collectors there in the 70s as well as near Shamokin.

2 minutes ago, Plax said:

the google earth image shows a lot of active mining and reclamation in carbondale. Should be many more opportunities there. Is Tower City viable for plant fossils any more? Used to be a lot of collectors there in the 70s as well as near Shamokin.

I don't know, I was up at lake Wallenpaupack for four days, and the only sites I knew were the trilo ridge, Milford, Carbondale, montour pit (too far), and the closed (and too far, but passed on the way back) st.clair. It did look around Carbondale like new opportunities were emerging for fossiling, lots of new piles are abandoned, with trees growing all over them, and a few active mines and quarry's that I assume will need a place to dump stuff. Next time I'm up I'll see if I can check  shamokin and tower city.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Here's the report for any one whose interested, these finds as well as the rest of the ones I found at Carbondale are there.

Happy hunting,

Mason

9 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Thanks, those were my suspicions as well, should be able to put them on the report thread (describing my trip to carbondale) with that. I don't know if I'll ever get any insects, but hope springs eternal! I think there is a hiking trail over sideling hill, probably some rocks on that...

I visited that area in Sideling Hill before, wasn't too much on it. Most of the ridge is the conglomerate/sandstone layers that don't have fossils in them. You need to go further west, because also a lot of Sideling Hill and Town Hill is built up (private property).  Like I said earlier, Dans Mountain, and a little ways east of Deep Creek Lake are the best areas to look in.

18 minutes ago, EMP said:

I visited that area in Sideling Hill before, wasn't too much on it. Most of the ridge is the conglomerate/sandstone layers that don't have fossils in them. You need to go further west, because also a lot of Sideling Hill and Town Hill is built up (private property).  Like I said earlier, Dans Mountain, and a little ways east of Deep Creek Lake are the best areas to look in.

Yeah, it's just that it's two and a half hours away, but it's probably worth it. I might make a trip soon, especially with all the other sites up there.

Happy hunting,

Mason