Fossil-Hound

Paulding Fossil Community Garden - LaFarge Quarry (Cecil, OH)

ynot
18 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

IMG_0722.JPG

Looks like there may be more under the matrix on this one.

Looks like You did pretty good for just an hour!

Safe journey and good luck in Utah!

Tony

WhodamanHD

Some amazing stuff there, good job picking out the good ones!

Wrangellian

By that sign in the first pic, that place looks like a good model for the owners of the St Clair site in PA to consider for the fern site.....

I like that long spiriferid... Just how long could those get??

Pumpkinhead

I have collected from the Dundee formation, which is stratigraphically similar to the Silica formation although I am not completely sure exactly how close they are. I have some Eldredgeops rana bits that are similar to yours, although in my experience I have not come across the same spiriferids, and in fact brachiopods are some of the fossils that I find less frequently from the Dundee formation. Perhaps @Kane could verify whether or not spiriferid brachiopods can be found in the Dundee formation. Your finds have just reminded me how curious I am about this specific bit of Devonian stratigraphy, so thanks a lot for sharing

Ludwigia
2 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

I would like to send LaFarge a hand written letter thanking them for keeping the park open as it means a lot to me and others.

I would encourage you to do that. For Lafarge, being the large global player that it is, their public image is important. I just wish they would open up more such opportunities, instead of closing more and more of their gates to amateur collectors.

Kane
42 minutes ago, Pumpkinhead said:

I have collected from the Dundee formation, which is stratigraphically similar to the Silica formation although I am not completely sure exactly how close they are. I have some Eldredgeops rana bits that are similar to yours, although in my experience I have not come across the same spiriferids, and in fact brachiopods are some of the fossils that I find less frequently from the Dundee formation. Perhaps @Kane could verify whether or not spiriferid brachiopods can be found in the Dundee formation. Your finds have just reminded me how curious I am about this specific bit of Devonian stratigraphy, so thanks a lot for sharing

They are close, but have some pretty large differences in terms of biota. In the Dundee, there are spirifers in brach mix that is largely dominated by inarticulate brachs and large Stophodonta - like sp. There are some very busy brach layers in the Dundee, but also ones where they are almost entirely rugose corals. The trouble, of course, is that the limestone is pretty dense (which makes it somewhat ideal for building decorative retaining walls or other landscaping features). There are at least six reported species of trilobites in the Dundee, of which E. rana is one. It is more common in the Dundee to find trilo-bits.

Pumpkinhead
7 hours ago, Kane said:

They are close, but have some pretty large differences in terms of biota. In the Dundee, there are spirifers in brach mix that is largely dominated by inarticulate brachs and large Stophodonta - like sp. There are some very busy brach layers in the Dundee, but also ones where they are almost entirely rugose corals. The trouble, of course, is that the limestone is pretty dense (which makes it somewhat ideal for building decorative retaining walls or other landscaping features). There are at least six reported species of trilobites in the Dundee, of which E. rana is one. It is more common in the Dundee to find trilo-bits.

Thanks for the info, seems to me as though I usually come across the rugose dominated layers, although I have a few putative fragments of the larger brachiopods you mentioned

Raggedy Man

Thanks for the report! I've always wanted to hit this site on my way to NY. 

jewelonly

Congrats! Thank you @Fossil-Hound for such a great an informative report! I had hoped to visit there this summer so I very much appreciate the pics of your finds!! Best wishes for you and your family in Utah! :) 

Thank you @crinus for the updated information on the site! Hopefully, the replenishment plan for the fall goes as planned.  :) 

minnbuckeye

I am glad you chose this site over Sylvania. By the looks of it, you had a successful hour. Now we will wait for pics from out west.

Acryzona

Any update on the Paulding Fossil public site for 2019?  Was thinking of making a trip from eastern PA

connorp
12 hours ago, Acryzona said:

Any update on the Paulding Fossil public site for 2019?  Was thinking of making a trip from eastern PA

Still there and still productive. I wouldn’t expect to find any complete trilobites, but there are plenty of brachiopods, various corals, and trilo bits everywhere.

Acryzona

Thanks connorp   I’m hunting microfossils so I was just hoping that the field hadn’t been abandoned since it’s been two years since the last post on this thread.

connorp
14 hours ago, Acryzona said:

Thanks connorp   I’m hunting microfossils so I was just hoping that the field hadn’t been abandoned since it’s been two years since the last post on this thread.

Not at all. Here’s a picture I took back in April.

825DCEA5-8B80-4258-B2AC-A53CA3221425.thumb.jpeg.ace74fc7e4f910c88f39fc470eb3a69e.jpeg

There’s 5-6 rows of material that each extend a couple hundred feet.