Thinking Of Selling

Gatorman

Thinking of selling a cluster of oysters I found a few years back. It is in very good shape and feels like all shell. I found it near Ellaville Florida outside Suwannee state park on the withlacoochie river. I found a hole in the bank that had liquid limestone in it and found these oysters so they are in a very rare condition. I would like to know what you think the value of these would be and where would be the best place to sell them? They are Oligocene suwannee formation.

post-1-1247526903_thumb.jpg

post-1-1247526918_thumb.jpg

Liquid limestone??? I never knew anything like that existed.

I would find yourself a decent fossil shell dealer. I am sure their are people out their that specialize just in fossil shells and they my have a better understanding of what a piece like yours might be worth.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

OK, you have to clue me in - what is "liquid limestone"; some sort of saturated marl? Nice oysters...maybe you can interest JP.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Pretty sure he means an area where limestone is soft and has dissolved in a tiny pool of water. It looks like milk (Warning: Do not drink.).

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Yup like Cris said its dissolved limestone in water seems the lime never hardened. Didn't know a better way of describing it.

If one of you are out in that area, could you get a pic?

Am sure curious to see it...

Welcome to the forum!

Thinking of selling a cluster of oysters I found a few years back. It is in very good shape and feels like all shell. I found it near Ellaville Florida outside Suwannee state park on the withlacoochie river. I found a hole in the bank that had liquid limestone in it and found these oysters so they are in a very rare condition. I would like to know what you think the value of these would be and where would be the best place to sell them? They are Oligocene suwannee formation.

Looks like Alectryonia vicksburgensis (Conrad, 1848) a widespread and common oyster and Lower Oligocene guide fossil found in Alabama and Mississippi.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

I could not find any of these for sale, does that mean they are worthless?

I could not find any of these for sale, does that mean they are worthless?

It means they are price-less :)

It is a beautiful, delicate fossil, and the preservation seems to be unsurpassable. That is worth something, and knowing the species and provenance adds value. I suspect it may be a "right person" situation.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Price is tough on stuff like this.

Condition,rarity,presentation, If these three things are in your favor you still have to find people who drool at the sight of fossil oysters with deep pockets. If its too rare people may not even know about it Information also helps when selling.

Good luck