July 2017 - Finds of the Month

Fossildude19

In this case the question would be, what is the date of discovery?  My preference would be to set that as the day one actually first knows of the existence of the fossil.  I often collect buckets of material in the hope that something worth keeping will be found when it is sieved.  I also will bring home blocks of shale to carefully split at home, where each piece can be examined under a microscope.  As another example, I have been etching some limestone blocks in acid to recover silicified trilobites; generally all one can see before etching is a few very nondescript sections through disarticulated trilobits.   In each case I only discover the fossil some time (in some cases, more than a year) after I fill my buckets.  I guess one could take a "before prepping" photo showing a 5-gallon bucket, and count sieving the contents as "prepping", but that seems silly.  I suppose this is an issue where we should agree on a policy.

Don C

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

In this case the question would be, what is the date of discovery?  My preference would be to set that as the day one actually first knows of the existence of the fossil.  I often collect buckets of material in the hope that something worth keeping will be found when it is sieved.  I also will bring home blocks of shale to carefully split at home, where each piece can be examined under a microscope.  As another example, I have been etching some limestone blocks in acid to recover silicified trilobites; generally all one can see before etching is a few very nondescript sections through disarticulated trilobits.   In each case I only discover the fossil some time (in some cases, more than a year) after I fill my buckets.  I guess one could take a "before prepping" photo showing a 5-gallon bucket, and count sieving the contents as "prepping", but that seems silly.  I suppose this is an issue where we should agree on a policy.

Don C

Don is correct.  An unseen specimen in bulk matrix is discovered, or "found" at the time it is recognized...whatever month that happens to be is the month the fossil could be entered into the contest.  ;) 

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@Kane @FossilDAWG @JohnJ

Alright, so basically, according to Don and John (Don John, in Much Ado about Nothing :P:P :P), if I find something tomorrow or later in my micro-matrix, I can submit it for next month. Great news, thanks for the help! :dinothumb:

Now I still have to hope that I do find something interesting. :fingerscrossed:

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Thought I might as well put my best find this month up, this is for the plant/invert of the month.

found: July 7, 2017

formation: Lewellyn

plant: some sort of horsetail (family equistailes)

this is a a horsetail that has two sprouts coming out of a bulb and a large root coming out of the side.

Broke a bit on the way home, had to be glued back together

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

IMG_2285.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Wowie! Inverts really swarming this month!

5 verts 

7 inverts

Voting's gonna be tense!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

• 1 month later...