A Nice Little Surprise

Ludwigia

As I've mentioned previously, I'm busying myself right now preparing some ammonites for a befriended paleontologist and also some which he has gifted me in exchange. I was working on one of my own yesterday and at the begining of the process I noticed a little something interesting stuck in the matrix, so I worked a small block out first of all with the stylus.

1.jpg.93749f6de423024c494bf70e07df8c3e.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.0cb818bfe03e323fa50ef31a3bf8e47c.jpg

Here's what I ended up with after prepping it. Some would call it a microconch, but my friend is convinced that it's a dwarf Sonninia (Euhoploceras) adicra/dominans. Nice spines :wub:

A1305e.thumb.jpg.8a807c6c6fbbd0caf4d3752e09060488.jpg

A1305b.thumb.jpg.4d14382d825d8f3a55928230fcda0d96.jpg

A1305f.thumb.jpg.6e380d8cddb8b9176061f04ba9d42033.jpg

A1305a.thumb.jpg.bc877cb650c9d7cbabbcce6189ee4647.jpg

A1305c.jpg.f908ba86c0a7a9e34852a6e1ba29ff1f.jpg

A1305d.jpg.83a20e158da2f09d65ac2341b59fce8c.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

That is a nice surprise - and you cleaned it up excellently, too. Those spines are neat. :dinothumb:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

How small is that?  I'm guessing quite small since the texture of the paper is easily visible.  Excellent cleaning job.  

I know you're a wizard, but this preparation goes beyond anything, Roger. :)
You're the expert in ammos, and an amateur, like me, tries to learn from the best.
I've just find a document, maybe it helps, also a specimen from your collection.

large.A1210a.2.jpg.0344f2b67b813fb82a0cb73d91b0eb8b.thumb.jpg.1206fb513c605e1977872f53bf84b23c.jpg

link

J. Sandoval, R. B. Chandler. 2000. THE SONNINIID AMMONITE EUHOPLOCERAS FROM THE MIDDLE JURASSIC OF SOUTH-WEST ENGLAND AND SOUTHERN SPAIN. Palaeontology, Vol. 43, Part 3, pp. 495-532

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, Kane said:

That is a nice surprise - and you cleaned it up excellently, too. Those spines are neat. :dinothumb:

Thanks, Kane :D

1 hour ago, Adam86cucv said:

How small is that?  I'm guessing quite small since the texture of the paper is easily visible.  Excellent cleaning job.  

You're right. 4cm. in diameter.

57 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

I know you're a wizard, but this preparation goes beyond anything, Roger. :)
You're the expert in ammos, and an amateur, like me, tries to learn from the best.
I've just find a document, maybe it helps, also a specimen from your collection.

large.A1210a.2.jpg.0344f2b67b813fb82a0cb73d91b0eb8b.thumb.jpg.1206fb513c605e1977872f53bf84b23c.jpg

link

J. Sandoval, R. B. Chandler. 2000. THE SONNINIID AMMONITE EUHOPLOCERAS FROM THE MIDDLE JURASSIC OF SOUTH-WEST ENGLAND AND SOUTHERN SPAIN. Palaeontology, Vol. 43, Part 3, pp. 495-532

Thanks for the laurels. Sandoval, Chandler, Dietze and Callomon in his day are top when it comes to the Bajocian ammonite fauna.

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, jewelonly said:

Love this little beauty with spines, Roger!  :wub:

Leah

Me too Leah :) Have your ammos arrived yet?

5 hours ago, ynot said:

Ya just do such a good job on those ugly little rocks and turn them into true pieces of art!

You are truly an artist, Roger!

Thanks for the kudos, Tony

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Me too Leah :) Have your ammos arrived yet?

No, not yet, Roger. Looking forward to seeing them in hand so, hopefully today. :) 

Very nice Roger.  Would like to know how you hold onto something that small while prepping?

RB

Gorgeous!! You have the talents to recognize and expose beautiful objects for the world to see.

I truly am addicted to my own fossil hobbies here in Florida and trying to resist those siren calls of greener pastures, because there are so many fossils and so little time.... Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Very nice Roger.  Would like to know how you hold onto something that small while prepping?

RB

Very tightly :D

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Gorgeous!! You have the talents to recognize and expose beautiful objects for the world to see.

I truly am addicted to my own fossil hobbies here in Florida and trying to resist those siren calls of greener pastures, because there are so many fossils and so little time.... Jack

Thanks, Jack. I must say that your hunting grounds certainly provide ample resources for the time being :)

11 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Hopefully soon then. I sent them off 11 days ago.

Oh, I know, Roger. I live in a tiny town outside of Birmingham and sometimes it takes days to make an 18 mile journey by post, it seems. You would think we were living on the frontier.  :wacko::) 

Leah 

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

That's a cracker Roger and superb prep as you always do. 

Thanks, John. It sure was a bit finicky.  Unfortunately there was a piece of belemnite which ruined 2 of the spines but it turned out ok in the end.