quatsea1

Hello all, 

I am new to the forum and to fossil "hunting" in general. I was hoping one of you could please help me identify a nearly intact vertebra I found recently at Calvert Cliffs (MD). It measures approximately 4.5" superior-inferior, 5" transversely and 5" anterior-posterior. I have several more pictures but am having a difficult time "re-sizing" the photos (as a true amateur would)! If you need more info/pics, please let me know. 

Thanks in advance for the lesson!

20170730_080902.jpg

First, welcome to the forum from New York! While I cannot help with the id of this piece. I must say that this is a nice find from Calvert Cliffs. This is in great condition for that area. I have never seen a bone quite like that.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks! Considering I am a total newbie, I must admit that I flipped out when I found it. I found it sticking out of the "mud" during low tide....

20170730_080932.jpg

20170730_081002.jpg

20170730_081024.jpg

Please, one more shot opposite side of the knob face. All these pics are of the same side.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I am anxiously waiting for a consensus opinion. :) I had someone else suggest Bison or Jefferson Ground Sloth?!

Im about to say something controversial, I'm gonna say it's canid, to be specific cynarctus, if it is its scientificly important.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The reason I say cynarctus is because it's the only canid I know from the area, Cynarctus wangi was recently named. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, quatsea1 said:

Try not to laugh...but may I ask why you suggesting that is controversial?

It's not a bad question, as far as I know, no vertabrae from this species is known and the material is rare. So rare in fact only recently was it identified. So even if it is classic features of the family (which may not be the case, I'm no expert) it would be technically impossible to prove, this is the problem marylands state dinosaur, Astrodon, faces. It's skeletal elements are not known, but it's teeth are. Bones from probably the same species cannot be attributed to the teeth because they are or connected to them.

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 hours ago, ynot said:

I do not see a cetatean vert here. Looks reptilian to Me. Maybe a big crocodile.

Busted, breaking a rule that I have championed.

I have to admit it was just "what is supposed to be found there" :(

Personally, I'm seeing a large mammal cervical, maybe something like a cow. Hate to add yet another ID to the pot but...

• I found this Informative 1

So much confusion on this piece, where oh where have the calvert cliff experts gone?

I really think the ball and socket is a reptilian feature, but I could be wrong about that.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

5 minutes ago, ynot said:

So much confusion on this piece, where oh where have the calvert cliff experts gone?

I'd guess to Calvert cliffs:P

At this point a good idea may be to call a museum curator, a university professor, or a local expert. If memory serves, there is a little museum near the cliffs, they may be able to help. Any piece confusing enough to completely stump the forum is worthy of an experts eye.

Happy hunting,

Mason

@quatsea1

You might consider emailing photos (with a scale for reference in the pictures) to Dr. Stephen Godfrey at the Calvert Marine Museum. You can Google him and get his email address or go the museum website and get his email there.

Just a suggestions.

SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

That was actually going to be my next move. I didn't think there was any way it would stump you experts though! ;) Regardless,  please keep the opinions/educated guesses coming!

I will be sure to share what Dr. Godfrey has to say if I hear from him.... By the way, I don't mean to sound like an imbicile but will the museum "force" me to turn the vert over to them? I have been told before that they have the "right" to any fossils found in the Cliffs? Has anyone else heard that?

1 minute ago, quatsea1 said:

That was actually going to be my next move. I didn't think there was any way it would stump you experts though! ;) Regardless,  please keep the opinions/educated guesses coming!

I will be sure to share what Dr. Godfrey has to say if I hear from him.... By the way, I don't mean to sound like an imbicile but will the museum "force" me to turn the vert over to them? I have been told before that they have the "right" to any fossils found in the Cliffs? Has anyone else heard that?

They probably do, the cliffs are a state park after all. They will only do this if it's important, and even if it is they will probably ask you kindly first. If it is important, I'd turn it over whether they wanted it or not. If this was the case, you could get the partners in paleontology badge and your name on an important fossil, or maybe in an important paper. This is however only if its scientificly significant.

Happy hunting,

Mason

I've never heard of CMM "forcing" anyone to turn over anything. If a specimen is of scientific importance and should / would be studied, they certainly can ask for it to be donated. To me as an amateur, I think it would be an honor to have something I've found be worthy of study and would gladly donate it with a couple of requirements, of course.

1) I would ask for a cast to be made and painted so I could at least have that in my collection.

2) I would definitely want it to be studied or displayed, if I was going to donate. If it was just going into a box, basement or storage area, I would not donate.

3) If it's a new species, I would want it named after me. :D

Looking forward to seeing what CMM says about it. :popcorn:

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

1 hour ago, ynot said:

I really think the ball and socket is a reptilian feature, but I could be wrong about that.

Agree -- that ball and socket screams Croc or Gator....:popcorn:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"