Philosoraptor

This is from Little Falls, NY. I noticed it on a small chip of shale. The first thing that came to my mind is a hyolith because of the cone shaped top and the small semicircle that is just in front of it but looks detached. The fossil site I found this in seems to be relatively deep water due to the presence of Triarthrus trilobites and large, straight-shelled cephalopods. Is this consistent with habitats hyoliths have been found in before? Sorry for the blurry photo, it's the best I could get. The camera doesn't want to focus on it.

IMG_1397.JPG

Try to switch to macro focus if your camera has that option. Or use a magnifying lense of some sort. I use a 10x loupe and just but it directly in front of my phone camera lense, when I need a pic of something small. 

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Sorry it took me so longbrook to respond. I tried my best to get a photo under a microscope. IMG_1400.thumb.JPG.856ad280fb30ef073b6b630342f50229.JPG

The more I look at it, the more it looks to be a strangely shaped part of the rock. I would still like opinions on it though.

21 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I think it's some kind of fossil. Barely formed mold perhaps.

Could it be an internal mold of a graptolite? I've found many at this site before.

On 8/5/2017 at 2:52 PM, Rockwood said:

Are you sure ?

I'm pretty sure what I've found before have been graptolites. Here are some pictures.

IMG_1406.thumb.JPG.668abf5f0f97c7e1c271678ead12dd10.JPGIMG_1403.thumb.JPG.9334f6a56a07277387d1856ce8cd6c65.JPG

If you're asking if the original fossil(the one in the first post) is a mold of a graptolite, I have no idea. I was just throwing it out there because they seem to be relatively common. It might be too wide to be a graptolite mold but I certainly am no expert at identifying things like this(or pretty much anything at all). Thanks for the help so far.

IMG_1405.JPG

What else could it be? I'm certainly not sold on the graptolite idea at all. I was just trying t o brainstorm ideas. Maybe a type of gastropod??