Curious on how to connect shopvac

joshuajbelanger

So I recently purchased a blast cabinet to eliminate some of the dust from abrasion.  But, I don't know if I connected the shop vac properly.  I connected it to the side(where there was a filter already) with duct tape.  It feels like it's drawing some pressure, but it just doesn't seem right.  The cabinet stays clear for me to work on fossils, but a lot of medium remains in the cabinet.  Any ideas?  Suggestions? Pics of your own setups?

image.jpg

Not experienced in this area, but maybe superglue? You'd have to prop it up somehow, and be sure you don't want to remove it again.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Um, I don't think that's where he is going with this question.

Joshua, I think unless the dust is light enough to be airborne the vacuum won't be sucking it up if it isn't within a few inches of the nozzle.

As I am not familiar with blasting cabinets that's as far as my knowledge in this matter goes.  Do they have a filtration system to separate the blasting medium from removed matrix?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

7 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Um, I don't think that's where he is going with this question.

Joshua, I think unless the dust is light enough to be airborne the vacuum won't be sucking it up if it isn't within a few inches of the nozzle.

As I am not familiar with blasting cabinets that's as far as my knowledge in this matter goes.  Do they have a filtration system to separate the blasting medium from removed matrix?

I didn't say I was inexperienced :P

I just thought duct tape might not create the seal that he's looking for.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Well, @caldigger, the side of the blast cabinet has a filter hardwired.  So I assumed this is where the suction side of the shopvac should go.  To be honest, it works fine, I've probably thrown 2lbs of aluminum oxide at fossils, and it seems to be holding its own.  Just the amount of media left in the box makes me think I'm being silly with the setup.

btw, I have a little something for you.  Kentuckys most sought after fossil ;)

Typically, your dust collector (shop vac) is really only intended to keep the cabinet from clouding with dust rather than collecting all of it. That's the cabinet's job. :P

I think you have it in the right spot and it is doing what it should. I've used cabinets in the past and this was the case (including large industrial sandblasters). Carry on and use your vac to clean out the cabinet every now and then.

Also, unless you have a really good filter on your vac, you still want to wear a respirator and the bad stuff can make it through the filter if the micron size isn't small enough.

14 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

btw, I have a little something for you.  Kentuckys most sought after fossil ;)

I honestly have no idea what that could be, I would guess oil though:P

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Typically, your dust collector (shop vac) is really only intended to keep the cabinet from clouding with dust rather than collecting all of it. That's the cabinet's job. :P

I think you have it in the right spot and it is doing what it should. I've used cabinets in the past and this was the case (including large industrial sandblasters). Carry on and use your vac to clean out the cabinet every now and then.

Also, unless you have a really good filter on your vac, you still want to wear a respirator and the bad stuff can make it through the filter if the micron size isn't small enough.

Thanks for the post.  Yes, I can see it now, how the box is actually collecting the dust.  For some reason I thought the shop-vac was suppose to do it.  It seems to be working fine though. Before I bought my blast cabinet, I read one of your posts about the HEPA filter, so I made sure to a buy a few.  Plus I still wear my respirator, just no need for a full-face APR anymore, its too hot in florida for that nonsense!  Thanks again!

3 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I honestly have no idea what that could be, I would guess oil though:P

Don't worry, I have a little bit of some of it on the way for you as well.  I feel horrible its taken me so long, but finals are pretty brutal, and almost over though!  Usually I'm really good at shipping out stuff.  Don't worry, it's on the way!

28 minutes ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Don't worry, I have a little bit of some of it on the way for you as well.  I feel horrible its taken me so long, but finals are pretty brutal, and almost over though!  Usually I'm really good at shipping out stuff.  Don't worry, it's on the way!

It's fine, don't worry about it! Always hated test, never thought they actually gave accurate readings of skill level. Hope you can get your prep set up right, I'm excited to see what you'll do with it:popcorn:

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Thanks for the post.  Yes, I can see it now, how the box is actually collecting the dust.  For some reason I thought the shop-vac was suppose to do it.  It seems to be working fine though. Before I bought my blast cabinet, I read one of your posts about the HEPA filter, so I made sure to a buy a few.  Plus I still wear my respirator, just no need for a full-face APR anymore, its too hot in florida for that nonsense!  Thanks again!

:dinothumb: Sounds like you're on the right track. 

I feel your pain this time of year! When I'm doing my best sweat shop impression in the garage, I'm usually trying to figure out some way to get an A/C system in the budget. It hasn't happened yet though.