Fossildude19

August 2017 - Finds of the Month

Fossildude19    3,498
Fossildude19

Another month gone in 2017, another new month arrives, and a new Fossil of the Month needs finding. :D 

Please post your best Find of the Month  for August here - Win or Lose, ... everyone who posts here has something to be proud of. ;) 

PS - No one actually loses with the kinds of finds we have posted here. :) 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Remember...carefully read the rules below, make sure you include all the required information, and submit your fossil!  If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM. 

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Entries will be taken until midnight on August 31st.

Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you. NO PURCHASED FOSSILS.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per contest category.)

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or most of the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Discovery date (if not found in the contest month).

5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

6. You must include the common or scientific name.

7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the Fossil was found.

9. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll. Photos of the winning specimens may be posted to TFF's Facebook page.

In a few days, after the votes are tallied, and the Polls for both categories are closed, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month for August - 2017 !  Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

Trevor    50
Trevor

Date of Discovery: 5 August 2017

Common Name: Mosasaur

Scientific Name: Mosasaurus maximus 

Geological Age: Late Cretaceous 

Geological Formation: Wenonah 

image3-2.JPG.eaa73488b1508efe30258a5111bafe76.JPG

image2-5.JPG.e13b9e4ef6b19a475f56707e8accea29.JPG

image1-5.JPG.3e847e00d587879fc0d18dc2a65a7ce0.JPG

Doctor Mud    368
Doctor Mud

What a great start already.

Lucky we have a month to recover from the excitement of last months amazing contest.

Good luck everyone - this could be your month!

caldigger    435
caldigger

I'll throw my hat in and see if it spins.

Found August 5, 2017

Megathura crenulata ( common name: Great Keyhole Limpet)

Pliocene

Santa Margarita Formation

San Luis Obispo County

California

( fossils in this deposit seem to retain much of their original coloration).

Sorry, I didn't have my camera that day to take insitu. shots?  I left matrix within to retain stability.

This is the largest of these I have ever found. Shown next to the average size that I find. Note the still brilliant pink color on the small one!

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

Sharks of SC    45
Sharks of SC

After yesterday's successful trip, I figured I'd through my hat in the ring for the month's competition. 

My first entry - 

Associated alligator material

Chandler Bridge Fm.

Summerville SC

found on 8/10/17

DSC_0158.JPG.e25cea4e43fdc1c488d7d5688712c916.JPG

Sharks of SC    45
Sharks of SC

second entry - 

Carcharocles angustidens - 2.2"

Chandler Bridge Fm. 

Summerville SC

found on 8/10/17

DSC_0152.thumb.JPG.2dd6ee5bc6ca475507df6acd4fea831c.JPG

Max-fossils    141
Max-fossils

@caldigger that's a decent size limpet!

@Sharks of SC I really like the angi, and it also seems that there is some pathology on it! But how do you know that the alligator material is associated?

@Trevor killer tooth!!!

Darko    4
Darko

Date of Discovery: 15 August 2017

Common Name: Unidentified insect

Scientific Name: Unknown

Geological Age: Miocene

Geological Formation: Popovac

WP_20170815_14_13_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20170815_21_16_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20170815_21_17_05_Pro.jpg

Foozil    79