8/6/17 Calvert Cliffs

Miocene_Mason

4 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Bone fragment? If it is one it's got tons of scratches, must've been a shark chew toy. Found it on the trail a bit up from the cliffs, someone must of dropped it. Passes the tongue test.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks like you had a ton of fun as well as the frustration not being able to collect on the cliffs @WhodamanHD

i wonder if if this is s coprolite? @GeschWhat 

1 minute ago, JohnBrewer said:

Looks like you had a ton of fun as well as the frustration not being able to collect on the cliffs @WhodamanHD

I did have fun despite the rules, and I will probably go back someday. May be a coprolite I thought about it (right before I did the tongue test) and I guess there is a faint spiral. I don't see any inclusions, but I haven't looked hard. Let's see what geschwhat has to say, she knows her poo (and I mean that in the best way possible).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The tongue test and inclusions are not definitive of coprolite. In Violet's collection about 50% aren't porous and 50% don't have inclusions. If you would like some Aust, UK matrix which has lots of non tongue test/zero inclusion fish poo drop me a pm with your address and I'll send you a chunk as a gift. Also good for prep practice, that's what I've used in the past. The coprolites often split in two so you'll need some Paraloid too. :)

6 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

The tongue test and inclusions are not definitive of coprolite. In Violet's collection about 50% aren't porous and 50% don't have inclusions. If you would like some Aust, UK matrix which has lots of non tongue test/zero inclusion fish poo drop me a pm with your address and I'll send you a chunk as a gift. Also good for prep practice, that's what I've used in the past. The coprolites often split in two so you'll need some Paraloid too. :)

Thank you! It is a very kind offer which I will accept. I will PM you shortly. I'm slowly trying to improve my prep skills, aneeded that should help me a little.  I know that both tests are not definitive, I've definitely tasted plenty of rocks that were not fossils. This would be the first coprolite I've found if it is one, so I'm happy!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 8/7/2017 at 8:45 AM, WhodamanHD said:

B ) YOU CANT ACTUALLY HUNT AT THE CLIFFS!?! I knew you were not allowed to dig in the cliffs, but I thought you could at least hunt under them! The person at the front didn't mention that, just said don't dig in the cliffs, and the only warning was a small sign behind a bank that could barely be seen and four small wooden posts with orange plastic grid that was on the ground. I unknowingly walked a few feet in to collect fossils and was promptly yelled at and told to drop the fossils.  It was one person who then left and after she left, tons of people walked over to the cliffs, one picked up the fossils I dropped!

Sounds like human nature to me. I am curious about the practical limits on fossil at Cliffs.  I found this discussion from the state of Maryland. It identifies 3 locations to hunt.

http://www.mgs.md.gov/geology/fossils/fossil_collecting.html

SITE 1: View Map CHESAPEAKE BEACH: BAYFRONT PARK (also known as Brownies Beach). From Routes 2 or 4 in northern Calvert County, take Route 260 to Chesapeake Beach, where you turn right (south) on Route 261. Immediately after crossing a stream at the bottom of the first hill south of Chesapeake Beach, you will see a locked gate and a parking area on the left (east) side of the road. From the parking area, follow a path for roughly 1/4 mile to the cliffs. This site is accessible by foot only during low tide; at high tide, the water extends to the base of the cliffs. The exposure here is in the Calvert Formation. For your own safety, do not dig in the cliffs

This seems to imply that during the tide transitions, you can hunt the base of the Cliffs.  Are there unique /different regulations that exist in Maryland that do not exist in say Florida? I know that it is a broad question, but I think that every state prohibits fossil hunting within the boundaries of a state or federal Park.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 minute ago, Shellseeker said:

Sounds like human nature to me. I am curious about the practical limits on fossil at Cliffs.  I found this discussion from the state of Maryland. It identifies 3 locations to hunt.

http://www.mgs.md.gov/geology/fossils/fossil_collecting.html

This seems to imply that during the tide transitions, you can hunt the base of the Cliffs.  Are there unique /different regulations that exist in Maryland that do not exist in say Florida? I know that it is a broad question, but I think that every state prohibits fossil hunting within the boundaries of a state or federal Park.

Most state owned parks allow invert collecting, and in lots of the ones along the cliffs, vert collecting (although apparently the museum has the right to take any fossils found) Bayfront park is a community owned park, so they allow collection under the cliffs (and maybe in the cliffs, I haven't been there so I don't know) I do know however (or last time I checked) property ends at mean high tide in Maryland, so theoretically I should be able to wade along the side, or kayak along the side and fossil hunt. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

8 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Very nice! Really missing Maryland!

Thank you! Hope you get some trips back someday!

Happy hunting,

Mason

28 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Most state owned parks allow invert collecting, and in lots of the ones along the cliffs, vert collecting (although apparently the museum has the right to take any fossils found) Bayfront park is a community owned park, so they allow collection under the cliffs (and maybe in the cliffs, I haven't been there so I don't know) I do know however (or last time I checked) property ends at mean high tide in Maryland, so theoretically I should be able to wade along the side, or kayak along the side and fossil hunt. 

Thanks for the quick reply,

I am an avid hunter in Florida of all sorts of fossils.  Usually I adapt to the most effective hunting methods that are allowed within the regulations and laws of my state. So, kayaking along the edge of the cliffs at mid-tide would be exactly the type of strategy I might adopt. This is slightly more than theoretical since 18 months ago , my daughter moved to within 45 minutes of Calvert Cliffs State Park. Unfortunately, I did not pass the fossil hunting gene down but she would be happy to drop me off any place in the general region and pick me up 8 hours later.  So many fossils ,, so little time.  I have never found an Ecphora.  :DShellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

8 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I am an avid hunter in Florida of all sorts of fossils.  Usually I adapt to the most effective hunting methods that are allowed within the regulations and laws of my state. So, kayaking along the edge of the cliffs at mid-tide would be exactly the type of strategy I might adopt. This is slightly more than theoretical since 18 months ago , my daughter moved to within 45 minutes of Calvert Cliffs State Park. Unfortunately, I did not pass the fossil hunting gene down but she would be happy to drop me off any place in the general region and pick me up 8 hours later.  So many fossils ,, so little time.  I have never found an Ecphora.  :DShellseeker

Well maybe I'll see you 'round! Hope maybe your daughter picks up the bug, it's a fun one! Rules are always getting in the way, you have to be real clever to hunt nowadays, although I must say the idea is not my own, people do it along the Potomac. The full ecphora wre to my knowledge all but impossible to find on the beach (only in the cliffs), they are so fragile....

but no one really knows what they are, so the pieces are scattered on the beach, uncollected by tourists. Man, the one piece I found must've been from a large one, wish I had got to it when it was complete. You will find one eventually, just keep looking (they are present in Florida right?)!

Happy hunting,

Mason

They are definitely present in Florida shell pits of the right age... and I have had some opportunities, just no results.

There are some folks finding them recently... Gorgeous photos here

8 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

@Shellseeker

Let me know whenever you might make it up to eastern VA or SE MD and Mrs.SA2, @Daleksec (Trevor) and I would be happy to take you to the spots we got the Ecphora from this past weekend. Weekends and holidays are best for us.

The only thing I ask is you don't GPS the spots, check in from any of them on Facebook (shows map location) or give the site location info to others. Would hate to see them plundered and end up posted No Tresspassing. 

In fact, Mrs. SA2, Trevor & I would be willing to trade you some personal guided hunting/collecting time in eastern MD & VA and NE NC in exchange of quid pro quo down in FL sometime for us. (Trevor graduates early next June. Need to start thinking about his graduation present and broadening his hunting/collecting horizons.)

Cheers,

SA2

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Big smile :D Big smile :D,

It is a great offer and just thinking of the opportunities and places we could go puts a smile on my face.  I have been out there with MikeR, Digit and many others on TFF initiated excursions.

I also have some excellent references on keeping productive fossil locations secret over the period of years. I do not do Facebook, twitter, etc  Too many fossils , so little time.

I would be glad to guide your family into the SW Florida Peace River Watershed. Keep in mind that the Peace River is not (safely) hunt-able after the summer rains arrive. Anything above 6 feet deep in this USGS Zolfo Springs gauge.  Usually the hunting season is October 1st thru June or July 1st -- It was early this year.  

Zolfoguage.thumb.jpg.3da3c62fb32c62d4359f09335bf55b63.jpg

Looking forward to the future hunting.  SS

Well there you go, hope you have a space for a plump ecphora in your collection @Shellseeker!

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 8/7/2017 at 9:57 AM, SailingAlongToo said:

@WhodamanHD

Your Ecphora looks like E. tricosta from first glance. I'll try to find my copy of the professional paper on the various species and sub-species of Ecphora and send you a PM.

I just did some research and I couldn't find any reference to an Ecphora tricosta...

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sorry for the late resp

On 8/7/2017 at 1:01 PM, JohnBrewer said:

Sorry for the late response, I've been Cretaceous poo hunting in North Dakota. This does look like the coprolites I was finding there. If it passes the lick test, I'd say there is a good chance that that is what you have. However, the only coprolites I have from the Calvert Cliffs were black spirals, and non-porous. @Carl is probably much more familiar with the droppings from that area, so I will defer to him. 

6 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Sorry for the late resp

Sorry for the late response, I've been Cretaceous poo hunting in North Dakota. This does look like the coprolites I was finding there. If it passes the lick test, I'd say there is a good chance that that is what you have. However, the only coprolites I have from the Calvert Cliffs were black spirals, and non-porous. @Carl is probably much more familiar with the droppings from that area, so I will defer to him. 

Thanks for the help, I'll see what Carl says as well. I like good chances! Looking forward to seeing the N. Dakota specimens!

Happy hunting,

Mason

• 1 month later...
On 9/20/2017 at 10:00 AM, Carl said:

Arriving late here. Not seeing a lot to convince me either way. Can you post sharp close-ups?

Sure thing, I'm currently away but once I get back I'll see what I can do.

Happy hunting,

Mason