Petrified Wood Struck By Lightning?

Trilobiting

I came into a rock and mineral shop in Northern California and looked around. I saw this on display and bought a few pieces. Is this actually petrified wood struck by lightning? Does anybody know the provenance of this fossil (it wasn't specified).

Thanks.

image.jpeg

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

I know of no way to verify if it was struck by lightning. I think it is more likely a dealer trying to make a common fossil more desirable to potential customers.

I am also uncertain about the pictured material being petrified wood, there are some minerals that can look like what I am seeing in the picture.

Can You post pictures of the material You purchased?

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

"Fossils have richer stories to tell about the lub-dub of dinosaur life than we have been willing to listen to." - Robert T. Bakker

I agree with @ynot I'm assuming the strike ...  if there ever was one .. and how would they prove that ?? Would have been before the wood was petrified.  ie. it set the tree ablaze and/or charred it.  More likely .. I would think that the tree may have been burned by a fire started by a lighting strike and then subsequently petrified ? Petrified wood can also be found in many colors and some that is jet black.

Petrified wood isn't my specialty .. but this has some nice color regardless of its origin..

Apparently there may be wood with the 'scar' of a strike or fire.  But this was a tree that survived.

https://www.livescience.com/47316-oldest-forest-fire-scar-fossil.html

Cheers,

Brett

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I'm thinking the petrified wood (or whatever the material is, if it's not petrified wood) is encrusted in some type of mineral. Though, I'm still not sure how it's been struck by lightning. 

2 minutes ago, Trilobiting said:

I'm thinking the petrified wood (or whatever the material is, if it's not petrified wood) is encrusted in some type of mineral.

This may be true, but i must say the last two pictures look just like some sort of mineral. The lightning strike thing doesn't make sense either, probably a lie or one of those "you can't prove it wasn't" type of things.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

i dont think it is possible to say if there even was something like a lightning strike on that piece of wood, so i go with @ynot

Those Last Two Images Do Look Like FULGURITE,  which is a silicified sand the result of a lightning strike

1 minute ago, westcoast said:

Those Last Two Images Do Look Like FULGURITE,  which is a silicified sand the result of a lightning strike

Aren't fulgurites hollow? The "wood" itself isn't hollow; it actually has some weight to it.

Just now, Trilobiting said:

Aren't fulgurites hollow? The "wood" itself isn't hollow; it actually has some weight to it.

Not necessarily hollow but typically round and made of a green glass encrusted with sand..

The pieces from the original pictures and the additional piece do not look like fulgurites to Me.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

10 minutes ago, westcoast said:

Aren't enough crystals a bit big for a fulgarite? I'm guessing it's a vug fragment.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Prove may be a strong word, and I'm not in a position to verify this piece, but I can't imagine a force that would splinter a tree exactly the way lightning does.

2 hours ago, westcoast said:

Exactly what I thought when I saw those images. 

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

With the weather being rubbish (as normal for our 'summer') here and travelling through Somerset tomorrow I may put my foot down a little. 

Some stunning images in the link.  

• 1 year later...

Hi! This is in fact a piece of petrified wood that has been struck by lightning.  It was found in the Owens Valley and we were part of the crew that dug it up.  Surrounding it was also pieces of Fulgurite.  So glad that you all enjoy and I hope you feel it is as beautiful and amazing as we do! 

45 minutes ago, LonePineRocks said:

This is in fact a piece of petrified wood that has been struck by lightning.  

Was the presence of fulgurite the only diagnostic, or just how was this determined ?