Fossilized tooth or ?

Rock Lover

Need help identifying this tooth like stone. Is it actually a fossilized tooth or what? I found it in Georgia around past Indian grounds and beside a river. Any help would be appreciated. 

15024001007021324700057.jpg

15024001766511416715260.jpg

Does not look like a tooth. Appears from photo to be a broken quartz rock.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Agree with others that it is not a tooth.

It looks like a quartz type rock but could be a calcite also.

See if You can scratch it with a knife, if it scratches it is calcite  - if it won't scratch then quartz.

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It's a rock. (Indians live in India btw, some take offense to this. In the future use "Native American")

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, Rock Lover said:

Need help identifying this tooth like stone.

It's a toothlike stone. Pretty nice one. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

Indians live in India btw, some take offense to this. In the future use "Native American"

How do you know the "Indian grounds" she referenced is not the Patel's farm?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

6 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

How do you know the "Indian grounds" she referenced is not the Patel's farm?

Ah yes, this is true. However in Georgia there is no farm known as Patel's farm in Georgia, although there is one in Miami.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

According to Whitepages.com there are 22,883 individuals with the name Patel listed for Georgia. Surely, at least a couple of them must own a farm. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

3 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

According to Whitepages.com there are 22,883 individuals with the name Patel listed for Georgia. Surely, at least a couple of them must own a farm. 

You would think. A 2007 census showed very few farmers of any Asian descent in Georgia, no county having more than 26. Sadly no statistics on Georgian Indian farmers named Patel with rivers bearing quartz running through there properties exists. I feel as though this should be a top priority and should be brought to Georgia's governments attention immediately:P

Happy hunting,

Mason

I assure you Georgia has an abundance of rivers flowing to the Mighty Atlantic. It is also very well supplied with red clay populated with quartz specimens of various sizes and configurations. Ergo, at least a couple of hard working Patels (of the almost 23K) are no doubt tilling that ruddy soil, kicking quartz rock aside and wondering why you are calling them Indians. 

53 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

You would think. A 2007 census showed very few farmers of any Asian descent in Georgia, no county having more than 26. Sadly no statistics on Georgian Indian farmers named Patel with rivers bearing quartz running through there properties exists. I feel as though this should be a top priority and should be brought to Georgia's governments attention immediately:P

6 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

I assure you Georgia has an abundance of rivers flowing to the Mighty Atlantic. It is also very well supplied with red clay populated with quartz specimens of various sizes and configurations. Ergo, at least a couple of hard working Patels (of the almost 23K) are no doubt tilling that ruddy soil, kicking quartz rock aside and wondering why you are calling them Indians. 

Y'all is getting off subject here, this is not the place for that discussion.

@Rock Lover

Have You done a hardness test as asked above?

6 minutes ago, ynot said:

Y'all is getting off subject here, this is not the place for that discussion.

@Rock Lover

Have You done a hardness test as asked above?

Aw, I thought the discussion was completely relevant:P

Happy hunting,

Mason

Just now, ynot said:

To the identity of the stone?:(

I was kidding, I get easily distracted. For the record I say quartz btw.

Happy hunting,

Mason

IOk. Thanks so much. Y'all are hilarious.  My Dad tells me his grandfather is full blooded Cherokee "Indian" and I make no slanderous remarks so surely the Native Americans that might see this post will take no offense. If they do well they just want to be offended and I hate it. Lol Btw.  I did the scratch test and blade wouldn't scratch so I used a quartz point to no avail so I broke out the quartz crystals and they did the trick. I couldn't figure out why the top had one side w distinct and directional lining but upon more observation I believe it was worked to look like a bird if you sit it just right. Which makes sense as to "where I found it" seeing that I found many of this nature just this one sits in the opposite direction from others and very unique. Portable rock art of the quartz nature. Not a fossilized tooth. Lol oh well at least I know now. Thanks. The sad thing is I have many more probably not fossil but some I know are. So I will humbly ask for more great knowledge if y'all are willing. 

1 hour ago, Rock Lover said:

IOk. Thanks so much. Y'all are hilarious.  My Dad tells me his grandfather is full blooded Cherokee "Indian" and I make no slanderous remarks so surely the Native Americans that might see this post will take no offense. If they do well they just want to be offended and I hate it. Lol Btw.  I did the scratch test and blade wouldn't scratch so I used a quartz point to no avail so I broke out the quartz crystals and they did the trick. I couldn't figure out why the top had one side w distinct and directional lining but upon more observation I believe it was worked to look like a bird if you sit it just right. Which makes sense as to "where I found it" seeing that I found many of this nature just this one sits in the opposite direction from others and very unique. Portable rock art of the quartz nature. Not a fossilized tooth. Lol oh well at least I know now. Thanks. The sad thing is I have many more probably not fossil but some I know are. So I will humbly ask for more great knowledge if y'all are willing. 

Rock Lover,

Just remember, you will get better answers to your questions with:

1) Clear, close up pictures from all angles WITH some sort of scale for reference in the photos

2) As much detailed info as possible on the specimen (where found, known geology of area, any other relevant info you have on it, etc.)

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

1 hour ago, Rock Lover said:

I broke out the quartz crystals and they did the trick. I couldn't figure out why the top had one side w distinct and directional lining but upon more observation I believe it was worked to look like a bird if you sit it just right. Which makes sense as to "where I found it" seeing that I found many of this nature just this one sits in the opposite direction from others and very unique. Portable rock art of the quartz nature

Minerals of the same hardness will scratch each other. So Your piece is quartz.

If it has been worked, it is most likely a core from a larger rock that was broken apart to get blanks for making tools. It does not look like an effigy, just a suggestive shape to this one.