Summerville Pays Off Big Time!

Sharks of SC

I wonder if those aren't Thecachampsa/Gavialosuchus osteoderms rather than Alligator...

• 3 weeks later...

This post has me excited because I have searched and searched and searched, read a lot of boring research papers online looking for some kind of nugget to give me any clue if I am even searching/scouting in the right places.   This post gives me hope that one day I will get lucky and finally find a spot that everyone else hasn't already found too!  I have 3 or 4 spots that I have found (by research and scouting, certainly not bc someone else told me lol) but they all seem to be the very heavily hit spots.  I do find teeth, but mostly smaller teeth....Still most are usually bigger than the tiny ones i started my collection with that I found on the beach.  I consider myself a beginner to searching land sites, creeks, rivers etc because I have only been bitten by the Meg bug about 2 years ago when a friend who used to work in construction showed me his collection of really large teeth.  I would never ask any of you to give up a site, but can anyone share any insight (or point me in the right direction as to a book or publication to read-I'm happy to put in the work just like I know all of you did) that would help me figure out the difference between a site that looks like it could have potential verses one I should take one look at and cross off the list.  I have seen marl that I swore should produce something & then I search and search but all I see is gravel....no fossil pieces or tooth pieces etc.  any suggested reading for a beginner who Is hoping to find my own virgin creek in SC one day too lol?  I have done scouting in Summerville, West Ashley, North Charleston and even above Summerville (where the construction sites my friend mentioned were, but without the connection still at the construction company, I do not have permission to hunt on the property he has mentioned.  I can't wait to have a post similar to this original post when I can say my hard work the last few years paid off!  Thanks in advance for anyone willing to share any advice.  I'm not looking for easy street, just some confirmation that I am at least headed in the right direction.

• 1 year later...

Awesome find!! Where abouts did you go? This is a new spot for me but I don't know exactly how to get there. Or where to park in the neighborhood. And advise is much appreciated.