partial jawbones with teeth

Tapacitos

I have found a couple of partial jawbones and have tried my best to do all the research to help me identify them. Here is what I know about the area and what has been found:

San Jose Formation (Eocene) — San Juan Basin

Closest documented fossil sites (within a mile)

Pelycodus, Squamata-Paraglyptosaurus. Squamata-Saniwa

My father remembers when he was a child (about 70 years ago) a museum or university excavating a three-toed horse skeleton less than half a mile away. I’ve never known him to be wrong when it comes to local history.

General area fossil sites (within 50 miles) Cantius,Chriacus,Diacodexis,Diacodon,Didelphodus,Didelphodus,Hyracotherium,Leptacodon,Macrocranion,Miacis,Omomys,Paramys,Peradectes,Phenacolemur,Prodiacodon,Prototomus,Scenopagus,Thryptacodon,Viverravus;Reptiles-crocodile bones and teeth

There may not be enough of the fossils to identify, but I would appreciate any feedback.

Large jaw 2.JPG

Large jaw 1.JPG

small teeth 2.JPG

Large jaw 5.JPG

Well I see a mammal jaw bone, probably an undulate? <-----guess

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I hope I haven't ruined them, but I read on another website that if some of the details were not coming through in the pictures to apply some paste wax which should be easily removed with warm soapy water and a toothbrush. I'll try cleaning that off and use a different camera to post some new pictures. I'm thinking that may be the reason it doesn't look right for bone.

Good grief!  Apply neither wax nor water to a mammal fossil!  You may reduce the fossil to pieces.

The teeth are too damaged to be easily recognized from these images.  Take your fossils to a museum where they can be compared with more complete specimens.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest