Tooth? Coral? Barnacle? Cephalopod? Help!

Micah

Hey all I'm clueless on this one. The vertical ridges and complete roundness of this piece aren't like anything I've found previously. I found this in a creek bed that runs through Oaks, Oklahoma among mostly brachiopods and bryozoans. Beyond the fact it's most likely aquatic my best guess is it's the tip of a piece of coral, but that really is a guess. Thanks in advance for the help! 

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

Hard to be sure from the photos, and I don't know the time period of your locality, but shark dentacle  (something like Petrodus) might be a possibility to check.

Another vote for coral, at least that's what my gut says.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I'll also vote for a solitary coral.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Do we have any coral experts? I appreciate all the input, but it possible I'd really like someone who's a bit more certain to confirm or deny whether it's the tip of a solitary rugose coral, or something else entirely. 

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I recommend waiting. It could be, but I have doubts. 

Haha but waiting is so hard! I've got doubts too, I have found lots of coral, but none has ever looked like this. What really makes me doubt it most is how smooth the grooves and surface are. Coral tends to be porous, but this doesn't seem to have any of the typical tiny holes characteristic of the leftover skeletons of the tiny creatures that make up coral.

36 minutes ago, Micah said:

this doesn't seem to have any of the typical tiny holes characteristic of the leftover skeletons of the tiny creatures that make up coral.

The tiny holes I think you are referring to are the corallites of a coral colony. This is a solitary coral - the entire thing is a single corallite.

On 8/15/2017 at 11:26 PM, Micah said:

brachiopods and bryozoans

If you can expand on this there would be contextual evidence that would be helpful.

5 hours ago, Micah said:

I have found lots of coral, but none has ever looked like this.

The piece in question is not a coral. It is the dirt that filled in the top of a horn coral, making a mold of the living chamber. Notice that the matrix and the "mold" are the same material.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

16 hours ago, ynot said:

The piece in question is not a coral. It is the dirt that filled in the top of a horn coral, making a mold of the living chamber. Notice that the matrix and the "mold" are the same material.

Aha! That makes sense! I can definately see that now, Thanks!!!