Not a fossil, but still cool.

joshuajbelanger

It's good to work for a mining company!  When coworkers from Carlsbad, New Mexico found out I was becoming a geologist/paleontologist, they sent me a little gift.  Rare, American blue Halite!

IMG_3943.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Don't mess up and accidentally put it in the salt grinder! Nice acquisition!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Carlsbad? I have a buddy (former mining coworker) who worked or works out there in a phosphate mine.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Very cool! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

To really bring out the stunning blues, you need to soak it in warm water overnight.  Nooooo!!!  

We get pink Halite from Searles Lake, although the organisms that make it pink tend to stink like rotting shrimp for quite awhile after you take it out.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Oooo, this is interesting. This is actually my very first time seeing a blue variation of halite (I know that there are plenty of variations but the only ones ive ever seen with my eyes were whites and pink. Maybe I actually should go google the rest of the variations.

Just dont drop it in water, okay?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

I didn't know it came in colors other than white!

You should coat that with something so it doesn't break down and fall apart, or cause damage to whatever you put it in. 

(If you are ever in Kansas you can go down 650 feet and get some white halite.  http://underkansas.org/explore-strataca/about-strataca/

I've been down, but with all the recent earthquakes in Kansas I think I'll stay up top and take my chances with tornadoes!!)

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Lol...I have it soaking in warm water right now!

i am actually worried about the humidity in Florida.  Guess we shall see.  Apparently they destroy tons of this stuff in the mines O_o