Quick Pictorial History of Mazon Creek

Nimravis

Excellently put together presentation,Nimravis.

Hats off ,kudos,cue the pinning on of the merit badge.:dinothumb::dinosmile:

Agree with all of the above comments

Nice record of the past collecting conditions. Makes me think I should do the same with the collecting sites I have done in the past and currently, as they all do change.

Also makes me appreciate all the more my own small collection of Mazon fossils (though not self-collected). Law of Diminishing Returns should always be kept in mind when we find fossils that we think are not that great and are tempted to leave them!

@Foozil and @doushantuo thanks for the nice comments.

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Nice record of the past collecting conditions. Makes me think I should do the same with the collecting sites I have done in the past and currently, as they all do change.

Also makes me appreciate all the more my own small collection of Mazon fossils (though not self-collected). Law of Diminishing Returns should always be kept in mind when we find fossils that we think are not that great and are tempted to leave them!

I agree with you and that is why I like to collect what I find and not leave them behind. I always pass on to individuals who seem to have an interest in fossils or to other FF members.

• I found this Informative 1

Excellent post!

Here are a few pictures from the I & M Canal Corridor Mazon River Outing yesterday.

0826171644c_HDR.jpg

0826171454_HDR.jpg

On 8/27/2017 at 10:50 AM, stats said:

Excellent post!

Here are a few pictures from the I & M Canal Corridor Mazon River Outing yesterday.

Nice- how was the collecting?

12 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Nice- how was the collecting?

Pretty good.  The river was low.  I came home with about a bucket and a half to place in the freezer over the next few months.  Here's a few nice opened ones.

Cheers,

Rich

0827171941b (Medium).jpg

0827171943 (Medium).jpg

On 8/27/2017 at 11:31 PM, stats said:

Pretty good.  The river was low.  I came home with about a bucket and a half to place in the freezer over the next few months.  Here's a few nice opened ones.

Cheers,

Rich

Nice and Good luck with the freezing.

22 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Nice and Good luck with the freezing.

Thanks!  I'll try to remember to post some pictures.

Cheers,

Rich

Thanks for bring back some memories.  I was lucky enough to have collected the area in the 70's and 80's.  I stopped there a few times since but it just wasn't like the  "good old days".  I actually still have a bucket of concretions from that time period that I need to open.  I got interested in another collecting area and haven't pursued my Mazon Creek interest.  It was nice to see some of the old pictures and stir some memories. A portion of my small Mazon Creek collection can be viewed on line at http://www.crinus.info/mazon.html

Thanks

Joe

Joe @crinus I'm glad that you like the post. I wish I was collecting there in the 70s. I checked out your website, and you have some really beautiful Flora and Fauna, I especially like the "Y". Thanks for adding that link.

59 minutes ago, jpc said:

Cool thread.  I also have a bucket of nodules I collected in the 90's.  To be freeze-thawed one winter.  

My issue is that I have about 90 buckets left- there is not a freezer big enough to handle that. LOL.

4 hours ago, Nimravis said:

My issue is that I have about 90 buckets left- there is not a freezer big enough to handle that. LOL.

But you live in Illinois... they have winter there, right?  Buckets indoors and then buckets outdoors.  All winter long.  Of course, 90 of them would be a full time job.    

7 hours ago, Nimravis said:

That's a good problem to have!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

When I had lots of buckets that is exactly what I did. Indoor / Outdoor  Wife would really get upset about the buckets all over the laundry room.

Joe

On 8/27/2017 at 10:31 PM, stats said:

Cheers,

Rich

0827171941b (Medium).jpg

0827171943 (Medium).jpg

Nice finds! I had a family obligation this year so I couldn't make it to the excursion, but I am hoping I can fit it in next year.

On 8/29/2017 at 0:44 PM, Nimravis said:

Leave them in the backyard and bring them in occasionally. That's what I did last winter. My yard does look a little trashy with all my fossil buckets out there though lol. Love the pictures. I always feel I got into the fossil game too late.

You doing the esconi dig next weekend?

8 hours ago, smt126 said:

Leave them in the backyard and bring them in occasionally. That's what I did last winter. My yard does look a little trashy with all my fossil buckets out there though lol. Love the pictures. I always feel I got into the fossil game too late.

You doing the esconi dig next weekend?

Glad you liked the pics- No, I will not make that trip, I just arrived in San Francisco for a 56 mile backpacking trip in the Sierra Nevada mountains in California.