Jump to content
michaelzzz

North Sulphur River fossils

Recommended Posts

michaelzzz

Another trip to north sulphur river and few more mysteries....Thanks in advance.

1. fish vert?

IMG_20170821_200443.jpg.724e02e89df81dd20ef346562efd32e2.jpg IMG_20170820_092136.jpg.586d5164c02a541905c8dd5397dbb3f1.jpgIMG_20170820_092140.jpg.7608bb7c4fc407bbfa75eef9f2048518.jpg

 

2. fish vert? (concave on both sides)

IMG_20170820_120759.jpg.b12a5c9bd36b5f678412c51733982c1d.jpgIMG_20170820_120803.jpg.099cdd60f0823bea4004e72e25d848ea.jpgIMG_20170820_120807.jpg.b1ffc83e8066b700fa8069404169610d.jpgIMG_20170820_120814.jpg.eadfc4182005638afc0f6e1b33d718a6.jpg

 

3. Stratodus jaw fragment? (1 1/4 inch)

IMG_20170820_203203.jpg.9e50c22dec101c2f240502f4fda9e94e.jpgIMG_20170820_203214.jpg.72516f97c872ac31f526a0040dfa1990.jpgIMG_20170820_203232.jpg.8516202d99d2e20e27755567eb52e526.jpg

 

4. coprolite or geo?

IMG_20170821_183005.jpg.3b4d4388d6fba0d43626fc98509b53e5.jpgIMG_20170821_183024.jpg.a4a02e3347c3e5d07100975eb7b8b98f.jpgIMG_20170821_183013.jpg.aaac0d7c77ef6a43ece649680066a752.jpgIMG_20170821_182944.jpg.f3a7a4c46e0da6c619609c0d6995ee2d.jpg

 

5. mystery bone with what appears to be tooth marks?

IMG_20170820_203603.jpg.b2ddf9ca310c670db220aea4ce5d68cd.jpgIMG_20170821_201521.jpg.fa431fa997e18755e2f605d6a80f6fd6.jpgIMG_20170821_201343.jpg.c25931a0f74c1c01789de87603eda165.jpgIMG_20170820_203745.thumb.jpg.03d9dc74b4e9f3c89fba8c80745a73a2.jpgIMG_20170820_203728.thumb.jpg.df74c8cbaca3534ff45e75629295bd5e.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Foozil

1. Marine reptile vert

2. Fish vert

3. Really nice jaw! No idea what its from though

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
michaelzzz
1 hour ago, Foozil said:

1. Marine reptile vert

2. Fish vert

3. Really nice jaw! No idea what its from though

 

 

Thank you Foozil. Appreciate your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JarrodB

1. I would say most likely fish.

2. A very nice fish vert. 

3. A very nice startodus jaw section. I found my only one a few months ago. They are not common finds. 

4. Not coprolite

5. Fish probably fish rib section.
 

Nice finds buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nimravis

I have get down there sometime, some really cool finds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

I second @Nimravis I always end up having to pick up my jaw after these NSR posts, and these have made me do the same!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeschWhat

From what I can see, #4 is too granular to be a coprolite. My best guess is a burrow or some sort of conglomerate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fifbrindacier

Nice finds, indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
michaelzzz
12 hours ago, JarrodB said:

1. I would say most likely fish.

2. A very nice fish vert. 

3. A very nice startodus jaw section. I found my only one a few months ago. They are not common finds. 

4. Not coprolite

5. Fish probably fish rib section.
 

Nice finds buddy.

@JarrodB Any idea those vertebra were from what kind fish? As always, thank you for the knowledge transfer:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
michaelzzz
4 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

From what I can see, #4 is too granular to be a coprolite. My best guess is a burrow or some sort of conglomerate.

I'm pretty sure you are right GeschWhat. I also had doubt when I picked it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
michaelzzz
11 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I second @Nimravis I always end up having to pick up my jaw after these NSR posts, and these have made me do the same!

Hands down the best hunting site I have been in north Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD
1 minute ago, michaelzzz said:

Hands down the best hunting site I have been in north Texas.

I'll try to check it out next time I'm there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JarrodB
10 hours ago, michaelzzz said:

@JarrodB Any idea those vertebra were from what kind fish? As always, thank you for the knowledge transfer:D

It's very hard to id single verts down to anything past bony fish. I have a few huge ones that I'm pretty sure are Xiphactinus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plax

really like your Stratodus. It is reminiscent of the slightly toothed base of early Cylindracanthus rostral spines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GeschWhat
16 hours ago, michaelzzz said:

I'm pretty sure you are right GeschWhat. I also had doubt when I picked it up.

When in doubt, I always pick them up, too.  A lot of times I can't tell what I have until I get them under the microscope. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×