GeschWhat

Hi all,

I just got back from a fantastic dig near Marmarth, ND. I was in coprolite heaven! I am wondering if anyone has any clues about the round inclusion in the first photo. It is phosphatic. I thought it was particularly interesting because I rarely see inclusions in this type of coprolite.

I am also including photos of some of the more interesting coprolites I found along with a really cool ichnofossil found by another member of our group. 

Coprolite with Iron Core and Inclusion.jpg

What is interesting about this one is that it is furrowed on both the rounded and concave ends.

Furrowed_Coprolite_4_Views.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Nothing too exciting about these. I just thought I'd post them because they are usually not recognized as coprolites. In fact, the first time I found a cluster of these, the paleontologist identified them as concretions. It wasn't until a year later, when I found one that was more poop-shaped, that I was told by coprolite experts that they did have a fecal origin. 

Coprolite with Iron Core-Small.jpg

Lastly, I thought I'd throw in a photo of the more typical coprolites found. Since the coprolites themselves were less than spectacular, Old Rex stepped in to add a touch of flair. He is sporting a sporting an unimpressive croc vert between his teeth and three broken droppings beneath his tail.

IMG_7288-small.jpg

11 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice! (for what it is.)

...for what it is? Ha! Poop IS the best! :D

Lastly a really cool ichnofossil. It was found by a fellow digger. It looks to be a cast of a small branch showing feeding traces from some sort of invertebrate (possibly a bark beetle). It was found in ironstone along with metasequoia cones and turtle bits. 

Ichnofossil-invertebrate-feeding-trace-wood-small.jpg

Lori, do you think there's any chance it could be a charophyte as in that thread of mine. I am not sure how to attach a link... :(

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

That's some nice droppings, the little T. rex make sure the feces a little bit funnier:)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Cool post and pics, Lori! 
Thanks for taking us along with you. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, old bones said:

Lori, do you think there's any chance it could be a charophyte as in that thread of mine. I am not sure how to attach a link...

Actually, that was my first thought when I saw the fine ridges on the one side. I originally dismissed the notion because the inclusion appears to be phosphatic. I'm not familiar enough with charophytes to know how they fossilized. There was no other undigested material, so I assume the critter had a pretty acidic digestive system. I know in the case of modern crocodilians, they pretty much completely digest everything but hair and feathers. In coprolites, these present as voids. That said, (assuming it is a charophyte or some other sort of seed), if the wall of the charophyte/seed was digested slower than it's interior it could potentially have left a void. Then when the coprolite was fracture a cast was exposed.  My question to the forum is can charophytes get that big?

Is there any chance a plain old rock got ingested during feeding. They probably didn't have table cloths :) 

13 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Is there any chance a plain old rock got ingested during feeding. They probably didn't have table cloths :) 

Yeah...that is somewhat common. However, this one is comprised of the same phosphatic material as the coprolite...with just a hint of ridge lines on one side.

• I found this Informative 1