Green Mill Run (Day 1)

anthracite31

Good evening all.  We headed out for Greenville, NC to hunt Green Mill Run this morning.  Headed out from NJ (across river from Philadelphia).  We stopped off at Conowingo Dam in northern MD to take a few photo.  My daughter with her driving permit in hand did a great job driving through Baltimore and D.C. (Proud dad moment!).  We bypassed the hotel and jumped right into the creek just before 7pm knowing we were only going to get about an hour to scope out the area.  I had only been in the creek once before about two years ago with George Powell.   It was a short but awesome day in the water.   However this was my daughters first time.   Some of you might recall we tried this trip together a couple years ago when we were rained out and I blew the engine in my Explorer while here in Greenville.   So far things are going infinitely better!  Will post an update after a full day out tomorrow.

IMG_4198.JPG

IMG_4201.PNG

IMG_4202.PNG

Native American pottery

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4196.JPG

IMG_4197.JPG

That it is.  Was my first time there.   During the fall into inter it is a major destination for photographers to shoot eagles feeding on the fish.

There's nothing better than spending time with you kids doing something that you both enjoy.

Have fun playing in the creek - I hope you find a lot of cool stuff to add to your initial finds!

Monica

Thx Monica.   No one I'd rather spend time with.  I figure at 16 she's probably not going to be hanging with dad to much longer.  Sniffle sniffle

1 minute ago, anthracite31 said:

Thx Monica.   No one I'd rather spend time with.  I figure at 16 she's probably not going to be hanging with dad to much longer.  Sniffle sniffle

You never know - I have been close with my parents for my entire life (even when I was a teenager and at university and while I was living/working in Asia in my 20s), so your daughter might also never tire of spending time with dad (especially if he's a cool fossil-loving dad :))

Good luck hunting today!

Monica

Hey anthracite31. My daughter (17) and I will be down on friday to check out GMR for a couple days. I completely agree, theres no one Id rather hunt with either! Enjoy your trip!

Awesome angelarose.   We're having a blast.  Taking a lunch break at the moment back at the hotel.  Heading back in a bit.  Have a great time!

16 hours ago, anthracite31 said:

That it is.  Was my first time there.   During the fall into inter it is a major destination for photographers to shoot eagles feeding on the fish.

Watching eagle swoop in to snatch fish off the water has been something I love to experience. Never get tired of it.

2017-07-012.thumb.jpg.b792cf06c60f4cba4f9918275a4eafee.jpg 

I "guide" many fishermen on the Mississippi River. It always thrills me to catch a sheephead and sacrifice it for the eagles. The pictures were taken 2 weeks ago when my sisters and my nieces were up from Ohio for a visit I swear they know my boat and come to the trees on shore waiting for someone in our boat to connect. We have the opportunity to feed the eagles year round, which is nice. The town in the background is Wabasha, Mn, home to the National Eagle Center located just downstream of the bridge in the background. If you enjoy eagles, this is a must stop if in the area.

17 hours ago, anthracite31 said:

Good evening all.  We headed out for Greenville, NC to hunt Green Mill Run this morning.  Headed out from NJ (across river from Philadelphia).  We stopped off at Conowingo Dam in northern MD to take a few photo.  My daughter with her driving permit in hand did a great job driving through Baltimore and D.C. (Proud dad moment!).  We bypassed the hotel and jumped right into the creek just before 7pm knowing we were only going to get about an hour to scope out the area.  I had only been in the creek once before about two years ago with George Powell.   It was a short but awesome day in the water.   However this was my daughters first time.   Some of you might recall we tried this trip together a couple years ago when we were rained out and I blew the engine in my Explorer while here in Greenville.   So far things are going infinitely better!  Will post an update after a full day out tomorrow.

IMG_4198.JPG

IMG_4201.PNG

IMG_4202.PNG

Native American pottery

IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4196.JPG

IMG_4197.JPG

Nice finds so far! I've spent a lot of time fishing both above and below the Conowingo Dam. You should see it when we get a lot of rain up north and the Susquehanna floods and all the gates are open on the dam. It's unbelievable! Been awhile since I've seen it though. If you're interested, here's a short video of the building of the dam. I thought it was really interesting. Hope you do too. 

Good luck on the rest of your hunt! Thanks for posting!

Ropterus - thanks for the video!   Relay looking forward to heading back there in a month or two.

Thx Fossil-hound!