Superglue Bottle Clogs

Ptychodus04

For years I have been fighting the tips of Paleobond bottles getting clogged as well as the caps getting glued on eventually. I exacerbate the problem by buying my Paleobond in the largest possible container to lower cost and then refilling my 1oz bottles.

I believe I have solved the problem. I rinsed out and thoroughly dried an empty white glue bottle and filled it with Paleobond. With the top open all the way, no pressure is needed for the glue to barely dribble out of the tip. You can close it a little and use some pressure to control the flow.

I did this last week and have used it several times with no clogging issues and there is enough space between the bottle and the twist cap that the glue doesn't seem to bond the two at all after use.

IMG_4915.thumb.JPG.37bc0158de2f1da5e7f7bda438271659.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Nicely done, you could always just call PaleoBond and ask for more caps for your smaller bottles, they sell a couple to a pack for a couple of bucks!

7 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Nicely done, you could always just call PaleoBond and ask for more caps for your smaller bottles, they sell a couple to a pack for a couple of bucks!

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with facts. :D

I like the controlled flow option in this also. I know, I can get small tips that go on the Paleobond bottles that allow for more control but this also satisfies my need to tinker.

I guess if you're using large amounts of the stuff regularly, this is a good idea.

I've been using a Fineline applicator for all my glues which I guess gives similar results from a slightly smaller bottle, but the tip is metal.

46 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I guess if you're using large amounts of the stuff regularly, this is a good idea.

I've been using a Fineline applicator for all my glues which I guess gives similar results from a slightly smaller bottle, but the tip is metal.

I use a fair amount of adhesive. I try to use PVA when I can because it is stronger and easily reversed if needed but there are situations where cyano is the only glue for the job. 

I use a lot of the Cyano when working on fish where the rock is splitting, but very little when working on the fossil crabs and ammo's.   For the smaller amounts I use these little tiny tips that go onto the top of the bottle nozzle.  After each and every use I hold a tissue paper on the tip and squeeze the bottle to force the extra glue out.  Still, it only last so many times and then I simply cut off part of the tip and keep going.  Once the tiny tip is used up I simply take it off and put on another.  TaaaaaaaDaaaaaa!!!!  :)

RB

DSCN1224.JPG

I'm familiar with those tips, and I'm sure Kris is too. You leave them on the bottle when you're not using the glue? What is the tip closed with between uses?

Hi Wrangellian, i simply put the top cone part of the bottle onto the small tip.  Never had a problem, but then again, im using it all the time.

RB

43 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hi Wrangellian, i simply put the top cone part of the bottle onto the small tip.  Never had a problem, but then again, im using it all the time.

RB

I don't use cyanoacrylate for gluing unless  I have to. I much prefer using PVA for small cracks. Just a little drop on the tip of a super fine artists' brush and I'm good to go.

I tried the little tips in the past and hated them... they were just too small. :P I guess my friend was right when he said I'm just a gorilla with a shovel!

So there's another solution: get a glass vessel and fill it with acetone. Get some extra caps. When a cap is all gummed shut with glue, drop it into the acetone 'reservoir'; after a few days or a week, it will be glue-free. After a while just fish out a clean one, drop the clogged one in, and put the reservoir back in the cupboard. Learned this when I was in NZ for my Ph.D.

• I found this Informative 2

29 minutes ago, Boesse said:

So there's another solution: get a glass vessel and fill it with acetone. Get some extra caps. When a cap is all gummed shut with glue, drop it into the acetone 'reservoir'; after a few days or a week, it will be glue-free. After a while just fish out a clean one, drop the clogged one in, and put the reservoir back in the cupboard. Learned this when I was in NZ for my Ph.D.

That's a great idea.