Mosasaur jaw sections

snolly50

Two Mosasaur jaw sections arrived today. They are marked "A" & "B" in the photos. Each is approx. 4.5 to 5 ". Please look them over and comment. Including, but not limited to; accuracy of ID info, life position of each section (upper/lower, right/left), how you would proceed with additional prep (if any).

Info from the seller: Halisaurus; Upper Cretaceous, Maastrichtian; Ouled Abdoun Basin (phosphate beds); Oued Zem, Morocco.

DSCN2087ac.thumb.jpg.ade65e1ab95305e6e81ae9ad96ad7b43.jpg

DSCN2086ac.thumb.jpg.88b580d485b231492dc8f205f7cc2aff.jpg

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks nice does seem to be genuine too, there is a whole pinned topic on mosasaurs, i'll get the link for you as for prep there does seem to be some loose sediment that could be removed carefully with a toothbrush and or dental picks, did the seller mention if the piece had been consolidated>? picture a seems to be the lower jaw as for orientation I woulkd say right side not sure on b needs a little of the sediment removed for me to id.

here is the topic 

Dental picks, or something similar will work nicely for scraping away excess Moroccan matrix. Both jaw sections look authentic and have the correct Halisaurus ID. I don't believe these jaws are composites as I do not see any sketchy binding between the crowns and roots of the teeth.

Agreed. Looks like Halisaurus no doubt. Nice jaw.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Thanks to everyone for the observations and a special thanks to @Haravex for reminding me of the great Mosasaur forum topic

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

13 hours ago, Bguild said:

Dental picks, or something similar will work nicely for scraping away excess Moroccan matrix.

Yeah, moroccan matrix is basically sand, I once rubbed some off with my finger.

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

6 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Great acquisitions Snolly, more than envious!

Thanks John, I started minor prep on them today. It's a relaxing, fun process. The granular matrix is easy to work with just a pin vise and carbide needles. 

Nice Halisaurus Snolly, I would use a disecting needle and a camel hair paint brush. It is therapeutic flicking off one grain of sand at a time