Please help me id this fossil

Nal

Welcome to the Forum! :) 

It looks to me like you have a rugose coral, somewhat weathered. Your area is certainly Paleozoic in origin, so this is a likely match.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks for the welcome and the reponse.  I really appreciate it.  Would this be considered a fossil?  Sorry for beginner questions.  Thanks again

Kane is all over this one!

I think he is correct with a very weathered Rugose horn coral.

Yes it would be a fossil and would be several million years old

It ws found close to traverse city. So devonian is spot on.  The diversity of the rocks found on the beaches the area is astounding.

Thanks for the welcome and the info, kane, john brewer and fossil dude.

There's a lot of good stuff to be found in the Devonian. Something tells me your journey is just beginning! :) 

I have to respectfully disagree with the ID of a rugose coral.  The interior shows no structures resembling septa, tabulae, dissepiments, etc that would be expected of a coral.

Rather, the fossil seems to me to be a portion of the siphuncle of an actinocerid nautiloid; Huronia is a likely candidate.

Don C

• I found this Informative 4

6 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

I have to respectfully disagree with the ID of a rugose coral.  The interior shows no structures resembling septa, tabulae, dissepiments, etc that would be expected of a coral.

Rather, the fossil seems to me to be a portion of the siphuncle of an actinocerid nautiloid; Huronia is a likely candidate.

Don C

Now that would be even cooler. The big annulatons would suggest this. Basing on the pictures, I suppose I assumed the appearance of septae in this piece. Good catch, Don!

I am going to agree with @FossilDAWG that this is a piece of Huronia. The big annulations are a big tip-off (although, in my defense, I've seen some rugose that have been very weathered showing similar appearance - and you did say it was a beach find!). 

Well Done All!

And congratulations to you and your son; awe is a precious thing :)

• I found this Informative 2

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with fossilDAWG

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Nice find!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Pickin' up the pieces, no doubt, it has a close resemblance to Huronia, and H. vertebralis.

IMG_0505.JPG.1c99d35b7860c2a90cf08190b3ebf627.thumb.JPG.ab466af7e354e1ccbc52343ed0a38e0f.JPGGIMDL-PA03_216189_7.thumb.jpg.e62445ddd2e649e6f34ebce6a272d776.jpg

buoyancy-controlling tubes in cephalopods. Little is known about their outer shells, but, in general, they were probably about twice the diameter of these tubes. Some specimens have been reported about 5 or 6 feet long. - to complete the missing part of the text

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

9 hours ago, Nal said:

Thanks,  am I right to assume that this fossil is 400 million plus years old?

Huronia is a Silurian species right? In this case 443.8-419.2 million years ago. 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

My first impression was siphuncle, also. 

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.