Winner of the August 2017 Invertebrate / Plant Find Of The Month!

Cris

Congrats Malcomt !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Congratulations @Malcolmt, a worthy specimen indeed!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Excellent find and beautiful piece congrats :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Congratulations on the wonderfully rare find, Malcolm. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Beautiful fossil.. and great job bringing the past to life..  Congratulations

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Wow....glad I signed in this morning .......Congrats to all the other entries..... every month there are such good specimens to choose from.  Its amazing that we regularly get to see and view world class specimens ......   plant , invertebrate and vertebrate here on the Fossil Forum. This forum for me greatly enhances the enjoyment of what used to be a pretty solitary hobby before I discovered this hiding place for former and current science geeks.....

As for  this months crop of allstars ..... for a while I thought these little guys were going to get left behind in the mud by a swarm of trilos..... good job Jeffrey P

And truth be know I almost voted for the plant...... sure wish it belonged to me. (still think plants should not be part of Invertebrate category)

I am especially pleased that this specimen received your support.There are certainly more spectacular plates to look at but even finding one of these is an incredibly rare event.  I am fortunate to live in an area that has the potential to produce some remarkable fossils. I am also fortunate in having a decent prep lab that for me makes the hobby all the more satisfying and quite frankly makes the fossils look a heck of a lot better than when they are found.  The funny thing is that in the field this fossil truly looked like nothing and I almost left it behind. I had found probably 400 - 500 pounds of matrix that day before getting out the diamond saw and was definitely concerned about my ability to get this rock out of the pit and back to the car which is about a kilometer trek.

I finished prepping this specimen last week but decided against posting a picture of it completed until after the voting since I had already entered it.

So for a while anyway this gem is going to be a star attraction in the center of my "weird invertebrate" display. However I suspect that it will find its way eventually to  being donated to a research collection.

Astrocystites_final_sharpened_and_compressed.thumb.jpg.e4623466349e5f22d44aa667b833e60a.jpg

Note to Chris....... After consideration and consultation with far more knowledgeable individuals I believe the plate to be Astocysties ottawaensis and Carabocrinus vancortlandti. It would be appreciated if you could make that change for me as I can no longer edit the original post. Perhaps you can add this picture to your archived post

Once again thank you all for your support and most of all for the friendships I have developed over the years with many of you. Remember there is always room for you on one of my little fossil excursions up here in the great white north, I go most weekends weather permitting .......just PM me and let me know when you might be in the neighborhood.

Malcolm

• I found this Informative 1

One of these days I will prep something .. and I know when that day comes it will be an utter disaster.  That is why I will look back fondly on this wonderful specimen sitting in a framed image above my prep table next to RB's crab images and continue to be inspired. 

One day ...

30bea914dbe40c224d53e671e903efb8cd6bafe2b599f8fd341ed8136af75f23.jpg.ace5b1dd5d70bf653b5b03eb93c57366.jpg

:faint::drool:  I had to install a drool gutter to carry the accumulated precipitate out of my house after I saw that plate. Quite the find! You do well up there, Wish I was half as successful as you and Kevin are. 

Congrats!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

41 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

:faint::drool:  I had to install a drool gutter to carry the accumulated precipitate out of my house after I saw that plate. Quite the find! You do well up there, Wish I was half as successful as you and Kevin are. 

Congrats!

Ya.... but I droll over one  of your fossils that is at my house ever time I see it....... Good thing for me that you don't get up here all that often to pick your stuff up

15 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Ya.... but I droll over one  of your fossils that is at my house ever time I see it....... Good thing for me that you don't get up here all that often to pick your stuff up

Quite the deadbeat I am! 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Awesome Malcolm, great find.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Congratulations, Malcolm. I knew your find had to win in the end, but you were up against some pretty stiff competion. I never cease to marvel at the quality of some of our member's finds and acquisitions.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Excellent find! Congrats on the win! :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Congratulations Malcolm. Your rare and beautiful echinoderm piece, wonderfully prepped, is a very deserving winner.