Alanqa Saharica Pterosaur Beak Piece?

talon22

Hi everyone.

I was searching online and on ebay i saw a listing for an Alanqa Pterosaur beak piece (dentary bone) from the Kem Kem. It is 0.81" long and wanted to know if this is the real deal or if it is fake/ incorrect id. Thanks. 

image.thumb.png.1702cdd782c8d31dd8cb8e7cb9769cb1.pngs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

image.png

It really is of one young Pterosaur's Beak, but you can not be sure that it's from an the specie Alanqa Saharica, though it probably is.

In the famous book from the author Mark Witton entitled "Pterosaurs", the author makes it clear that only two species of pterosaurs have been described in Kem, Kem, Morocco: Siroccopteryx moroccensis and also Alanqa Saharica. A fragment of Tapejarid Pterosaur and some fragments of Pteranodontid Pterosaur have also been discovered, but everything is so incomplete and inconclusive that it becomes impossible to make the scientific description.
  Then by eliminatory, this beak belonged to a toothless Pterosaur, which makes the Alanqa Saharica a good suspect for this his beak, of the upper jaw.

In the photo below, I put as an example of comparison, an upper jaw (likely Alanqa Saharica) that belongs to my private collection;

02.PNG

• I found this Informative 3

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

On 9/9/2017 at 0:57 AM, Seguidora-de-Isis said:

It really is of one young Pterosaur's Beak, but you can not be sure that it's from an the specie Alanqa Saharica, though it probably is.

In the famous book from the author Mark Witton entitled "Pterosaurs", the author makes it clear that only two species of pterosaurs have been described in Kem, Kem, Morocco: Siroccopteryx moroccensis and also Alanqa Saharica. A fragment of Tapejarid Pterosaur and some fragments of Pteranodontid Pterosaur have also been discovered, but everything is so incomplete and inconclusive that it becomes impossible to make the scientific description.
  Then by eliminatory, this beak belonged to a toothless Pterosaur, which makes the Alanqa Saharica a good suspect for this his beak, of the upper jaw.

In the photo below, I put as an example of comparison, an upper jaw (likely Alanqa Saharica) that belongs to my private collection;

02.PNG

That is an awesome fossil :). Thanks, i rarely see pterosaur fossils from the Kem Kem for sale apart from the teeth (supposedly Siroccopteryx).

8 hours ago, talon22 said:

That is an awesome fossil :). Thanks, i rarely see pterosaur fossils from the Kem Kem for sale apart from the teeth (supposedly Siroccopteryx).

I am always happy to help! Yes, really Pterosaurs in Kem Kem is very rare. And even between the supposed pterosaur teeth, teeth of Elasmosauridae and Crocodilians are mixed. So one should always be careful when acquiring these materials because many sellers are willing to write anything on the label in order to achieve a high price and sell faster.

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG