Which one is this?

Azemiops

I'm an amateur fossil hunter (stumble across, pick up) and need a pro's help. I've found a bunch of these "ammonites" and I can't find them in books. I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to classification, and I would like to put a real name to these. This is one of the larger ones I've come across. P.S. Sorry for the lousy quality of the photo

KIMG0002.thumb.jpg.42f813529315da3a508e03222b285fa1.jpg

It's often not possible to classify an ammonite just on the basis of a piece of the outer whorls, but if you could try to at least get your photo in focus, then maybe @PFOOLEY could take a stab at it.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

@Ludwigia makes a good point. Try taking better photos, and people will surely be able to help you. 

Also, it would be really useful if you said where you found this ammonite piece, otherwise coming up with an ID is definitely impossible. 

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

It is an ammonite piece, shortly sone local pros will probably give a guess or to (this is assuming that is from New Mexico)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

No, this is from a river in Roanoke Texas. The riverbed is all clay, and there are fossils of all kinds every couple of inches or so. All the little things are pretty easy to identify. But, this species is always eluding me. The problem is, they are either missing the inner spiral or they don't have one. They all just seem to end in this little tail thing. Because they all look the same, I assumed that this is how they are supposed to look.

Effect_20170909_131727.thumb.jpg.af795c15f9061f8a8703ec09f2740104.jpg

Effect_20170909_131900.thumb.jpg.90e94471a73f37dad679e1dfb792beca.jpg

I think one possibility could be that it is a worn Mortoniceras fragment. It will be useful to have an image showing the keel.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

That  Mortoniceras does look like the small ammonites I've found along side these. They are all intact! Only the big ones, like the one in the photo, are incomplete. That's why I'm so confused. All the big ones look the same, and all the big ones look like this. Is that unusual?

KIMG0006_kindlephoto-3571692.thumb.jpg.9f5b47e50d64e0076a8bb52f9b5f2699.jpg

Front

Effect_20170909_141339.thumb.jpg.94e81b76ea4b48a1e8da2d0f1b6397c6.jpg

Back

Effect_20170909_141401.thumb.jpg.0cc38d409d81a710190de4a36682b5ad.jpg

The ammonite-containing rocks surrounding the city of Roanoke are Cretaceous. These Mesozoic rocks turn out to represent both Upper and Lower Cretaceous epochs, and both have a diverse ammonite fauna. The genus Mortoniceras (from the Albian age, Lower Cretaceous) is recorded in the Main Street Limestone formation, which surrounds Roanoke, making it a definite possibility. Graysonites, a similar ammonite from the same superfamily, is found in neighboring formations that date from the Cenomanian, as is Stoliczkaia, 

and due to the fragmentary nature of the specimen in question, it may be difficult to make a definitive assignment of genera. However, due to the general lack of a dorsal keel on specimens of the latter two genera, I think it is most likely Mortoniceras.

Source:

J. Kennedy, W & A. Cobban, W & M. Hancock, J & Gale, Andy. (2005). Upper Albian and Lower Cenomanian ammonites from the Main Street Limestone, Grayson Marl and Del Rio Clay in northeast Texas. Cretaceous Research - CRETACEOUS RES. 26. 349-428. 10.1016/j.cretres.2004.11.018.

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.