Does Anyone Own Large Isotelus Trilobites?

Kurufossils

2 hours ago, Ryann10006 said:

@Darktooth A large dipleura dekayi is just as nice, that must've been a sight to behold at 6.5. Also trimerus and especially of course the Arctinurus boltoni are just as lovely, That's awesome, to bad I'm trapped in NYC and pretty far from any trilobite sites that I know of, besides the accidental mini deposit in my area which is pretty much cleaned, I unfortunately have to depend on the ebay shale to come across any for now haha.

There are sites to find trilos just a few hours drive from NYC. If you want some info pm me

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

• 6 months later...
On 9/14/2017 at 1:59 PM, erose said:

I have only rollers and all small. I do have a hypostome that would have been from a 14-16 inch specimen. Probably Isotelus maximus from the Whitewater Formation in Dayton, Ohio.

Most of the Cincinnatian giants are in museums. I've been told that the biggest ones are often found upside down and have to be prepped by first building a base on top, flip over and prep "up" to the shell.  The largest Isotelus species is I. rex and it is found up on the Hudson Bay I think.

Malcolm, how do you find the Ontario specimens? Up or down?

Hey Erose, I'm an Isotelus sp. hunter from the Caesar Creek Lake spillway, and I came across a GIANT hypostome (~5.5 cm at widest width) and I have had trouble figuring out the size of the trilobite which it came from.

How did you do it? This hypostome needs a master...
and I need your magic!

Thanks!
(Hahaa, this is my first post :-D)

Good thing I don’t “covet thy Forum neighbor’s fossils”.  I have one little 1/2 inch Kermit the Frog Isotelus, he’s perfect, and I found him myself.  If another never happens, I’m content.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

29 minutes ago, Little_Hammer_Man said:

...I came across a GIANT hypostome (~5.5 cm at widest width) and I have had trouble figuring out the size of the trilobite which it came from...

A 5.5 cm hypostome would belong to an approximately 30 cm (12 inch) Isotelus.  Click on the attachment sized approximately with a 5.5 cm hypostome.

Rudkin, D.M., & Tripp, R.P. 1989. 
The type species of the Ordovician trilobite genus Isotelus: I. gigas Dekay, 1824.
Royal Ontario Museum, Life Sciences Contributions, 152:1-18

IMG.thumb.png.86b8488cd9b04ee71f6f015e5046fb42.png

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

29 minutes ago, piranha said:

...A 5.5 cm hypostome would belong to an approximately 30 cm (12 inch) Isotelus.  Click on the attachment sized approximately with a 5.5 cm hypostome...

Thanks! This was extremely helpful. My extrapolations present a ~28 cm Isotelus, judging by the diagram (which falls very close to your estimate, yay!).
I am nearly certain that my hypostome is that of Isotelus maximus (rather than that of I. gigas, as in the figure), so is there any diagram of I. maximus which I can use in a similar way?

And, if these images are coming from a database, can I have a link? They are so useful!

Edited by Little_Hammer_Man

4 minutes ago, Little_Hammer_Man said:

Thanks! This was extremely helpful. My extrapolations present a ~28 cm Isotelus, judging by the diagram (which falls very close to your estimate, yay!).
I am nearly certain that my hypostome is that of Isotelus maximus (rather than that of I. gigas, as in the figure), so is there any diagram of I. maximus which I can use in a similar way?

And, if these images are coming from a database, can I have a link? They are so useful!

The ratio should be similar for Isotelus maximus.  Here is that paper: LINK

• I found this Informative 1

This is the only identifiable I. maximus I have, and it's nor particularly maximus in size. The other is "enrolled", and by enrolled I mean pancaked and pretty messed up. I have better Homotelus than Isotelus. Incidentally, if anyone out there is interested in parting with a complete prone Isotelus, I would be interested in knowing more!

image.thumb.png.2ac0f3348ea058a51e1b9bfe5e102c3e.png

Edited by DevonianDigger
(helps if I include the image)

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Here is another illustration based on a composite of Isotelus maximus.  Similar ratios as mentioned above.

image from:

Raymond, P.E. 1920
The appendages, anatomy, and relationships of trilobites. 
Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences, 169 pp.  LINK

IMG.thumb.png.cc25c1c3aa444e36aaed4abafa3c0820.png

17 minutes ago, piranha said:

..Here is another illustration based on a composite of Isotelus maximus.  Similar ratios as mentioned above...

Excellent! Thank you for helping so much!IsotelusMaximusHypostoma_F-T.thumb.jpg.3ed5ed7a664db429bf2bd7d1577b3110.jpgIsotelusMaximusHypostoma_F-T_Centimeters.thumb.jpg.9a174d41b90f561045c8dd38a480a73f.jpg

These are images of the hypostoma. I am lucky that half of the specimen is somewhat intact (Right half), as otherwise the other half would be impossible to calculate!

The image you provided places my potential I. maximus at ~32.2 centimeters in prone length! wow! what a monster!

Edited by Little_Hammer_Man

Thank you Piranha. Would have taken me a while to find my original graphic references.  Attached is a photo of the large hypostome I collected years ago in Dayton, Ohio. I found it in a tiny exposure of the Whitewater Formation, Richmond Group.  Pretty sure it is I. maximus as well.  The scale bars are metric and there is a little foreshortening, but it was well over 5-6cm wide as well.

DSCN5221.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gorgeous @erose! Where in Dayton? I'm out here for a few days on a last minute business trip and am scrambling to do my research!

@Ryann10006, Just saw this post. A little late getting to it. Wonderful examples pictured!!! I too dream of a large complete Isotelus. I am here to offer you large partials if you would like. Just message me and I can pic up a few when out hunting this summer.

Mike

No Isos yet. Don't even know a publicly open locality for them within 300 miles! :headscratch:

Any PM help would definitely be appreciated!

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

11 hours ago, Jesta384 said:

Gorgeous @erose! Where in Dayton? I'm out here for a few days on a last minute business trip and am scrambling to do my research!

Along a rail line that ran thru east Dayton. Tiny exposures scattered along the tracks west of Smithville Road for about a mile. But we are talking 30 years ago.

• 1 month later...

Two awesome large partials found by @minnbuckeye seeing these pieces in person leaves alot to the imagination! Certainly a very exciting sight, the first one is about 2 inches and the larger one is a little over 3 inches wide.

IMG_20180622_185222672.jpg

Check out this older thread for a drool worthy video trip for Isotelus trilobites.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 years later...

Shouldve updated this thread a long time ago, but finally came across the biggest partial I could nab, Im pretty sure this is two different isotelus but both pieces definitely wouldve came from some big ones. Happy to at least have a piece at the bare minimum!

20200709_224742.jpg

20200709_224728.jpg

20200709_224759.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

• 1 month later...

Never thought I would be updating this post so soon, but recently got a hold of by far my biggest isotelus partial measuring around over 6 inches + wide from Canada. I think it also came with a partial good sized hypsotome. This is the partial of a dream trilo for sure probably close to max size.

20200815_173657.jpg

Screenshot_20200815-173647_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200815-173634_Gallery.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you are still interested in seeing pics of large Isotelus or not, but I found this one earlier this year.  This pic is as I found it, and it is about 9 inches long, 5 inches wide, and almost 3 inches high.  I have had it prepped (by Malcolm), and I will do a post once I have it back and can take some pics with a ruler in it.  Found near Eganville, Ontario, Canada.  (For scale reference, I am 6'2", so my hand is fairly large...)

1 - raw tremolite fossil.jpg

3 - trilobite full.jpg

large fossil - hand.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

If I didn't already have both arms and both legs, I might have taken you up on that offer ;)  Yes, it is very large but it has some damage.  Given its size - and its inflation - I don't really mind the damage at all though, as it makes it look more 'real' to me.  I will make a post of the prepped pics in the coming days / weeks, but here is a teaser mid-way through the process...

5 - iso at three hours of work - from side.jpg