Anyone know what this is? North Sulphur River Find

shel67

I found this over the weekend on the North Sulphur River in Ladonia, Texas.  It's approximately 2 1/2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. It has several layers of different colors and is smooth to the touch on both sides. It reminds me of a turtle shell which I am assuming it might possibly be, but feels like stone. It is also fairly lightweight. Any ideas? 

IMG_5415.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5403.JPG

IMG_5407.JPG

IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5407.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

IMG_5395.JPG

IMG_5396.JPG

IMG_5397.JPG

Honestly, closed up the lines seem to end before the brown hits the light rock. Plus they look like cracks instead of articulations. So I don't think its honestly biological. Plus, like ynot said (How dare you ninja me :angry: xD), there is calcite cleavage. But it would make a beautiful psudofossil.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

That's actually a piece of a mammal tooth or even possible a mammoth tooth :) Find lots of those pieces in the sulphur. Hard to find one complete though! Good find, not many chunks stay that intact... 

• I found this Informative 1

:) I'm excited to read your reply! Honestly, I have read of people finding those in the NSR, and I have seen several photos as well....so...I had my fingers crossed that someone would give me that ID! Thank you so much!! 

1 hour ago, NSRhunter said:

That's actually a piece of a mammal tooth or even possible a mammoth tooth :) Find lots of those pieces in the sulphur. Hard to find one complete though! Good find, not many chunks stay that intact... 

Alright - that is so much better than a speleothem.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.