ID on this Ammonite ?

Bobby Rico

Hi I found this  part of  a large ammonite in car boot sale this morning. For the price of a £1 . Does anyone have any idea of the ID. Thanks all Bobby 

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

@Bobby Rico there's virtually no way we'll be able to ID this fossil without the geologic details of where it was discovered. Even with geologic details this one may be a challenge as it appears to be similar to multiple Ammonite species I've seen but without the complete specimen ID becomes more challenging.

@Ludwigia perhaps you've seen this species in detail and know what it is.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

I understand completely and know that too be true but I thought the size may hold a key  to an ID.,I can't say where it is from but I can guess it is an uk ammonite. I normally do not  purchase without  any location info but I liked the look of it and at only a £1 . Thanks for your help. Bobby 

1 minute ago, Bobby Rico said:

I understand completely but I thought the size may hold a key  to an ID. I can't say where it is from butcI guess it an uk ammonite. Thanks for your help. Bobby 

Well you say it's large but how large? Put an item that's about one centimeter or one inch next to it for perspective.

6 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Well you say it's large but how large? Put an item that's about one centimeter or one inch next to it for perspective.

6 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Ok I do that tomorrow is the ruler no good that is in the second photo ? Thanks

22 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

is the ruler no good that is i the second photo 

The ruler is fine, all that is needed is an accurate scale.

Fossil hound just missed it.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

9 hours ago, ynot said:

The ruler is fine, all that is needed is an accurate scale.

Fossil hound just missed it.

Thanks I got a little confused then with what was need. Also felt a little patronised. Kind regards Bobby 

14 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks I got a little confused then what was need. Also felt a little patronised. Kind regards Bobby 

We all make mistakes.

Do not be bothered by those that others make.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Thanks I got a little confused then what was need. Also felt a little patronised. Kind regards Bobby 

Not trying to patronize just want to make sure we get an accurate ID for you. Yes I missed the ruler. Thanks for pointing out my mistake @ynot :D

It looks to me like a piece from the outer whorls of a member of the family of the Arietitidae. I'm sorry to say that I can't name a lower taxonimic level like genus, let alone species, since a lot of them have very similar sculptures. One would need to be able to determine whorl breadth, see the shape and form on the inner whorls and other characteristics, which is obviously not possible with this piece.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I agree with everything that Roger has said. A good possibility though is a large Asteroceras (an arietitid) from Charmouth/Lyme Regis - the preservation and matrix look right for one of the nodules from the Black Ven Marls (=upper Black Ven Mudstone nowadays).

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Thanks e

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

It looks to me like a piece from the outer whorls of a member of the family of the Arietitidae. I'm sorry to say that I can't name a lower taxonimic level like genus, let alone species, since a lot of them have very similar sculptures. One would need to be able to determine whorl breadth, see the shape and form on the inner whorls and other characteristics, which is obviously not possible with this piece.

1 hour ago, TqB said:

I agree with everything that Roger has said. A good possibility though is a large Asteroceras (an arietitid) from Charmouth/Lyme Regis - the preservation and matrix look right for one of the nodules from the Black Ven Marls (=upper Black Ven Mudstone nowadays).

Thanks everyone. I only purchased this broken unknown fossils because I have not got any ammonites this size. Also TbB thanks for the advice on my Yorkshire trip. I think I will go to Runswick bay and see if I can get lucky.

Thanks again everyone  for the great info.

cheers Bobby 

• 4 months later...

Hi, Bobby! :)

This was a big ammonite. 

I agree with Roger and  Tarquin, we can't be sure , but an arieititid is a good possibility without a certain provenance, but guessing from a likely location. 

I would think Arietites bucklandi, partly due to the size would be a decent guess, but won't bet my tortoise on this. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png