Gary t tomo

i dont know if you can see but there are little metal filings right through the rock. all of my fossils have been found on the beach  below clay cliffs in between Withernsea and Holmpton 

406.JPG

Hi Gary, I think these are exposed fragments of brachiopods. You have a really nice impression in the centre there. Those fingernail like shapes are more brachiopod shell pieces showing (if you looked at them from  their edges). This rock tells us that the conditions for how these fossils came to be deposited were very high energy! If you've ever seen a modern sea shore with shells, you see how they all accumulate. This is probably what happened here! It's a pretty cool "snapshot" of a prehistoric sea. In terms of age, I hope our UK fossil collectors will be able to say more. Nice find! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

thank you, im going to my first geological meeting tomorrow at Hull university so fingers crossed i,ll know a bit more /something by friday

I agree with Kane that you've got brachiopods. They look like Carboniferous ones with the curved, shiny bits being their protective spines. 

All of the fossils from the coast around there are glacial erratics (the cliffs are Boulder Clay) and Carboniferous material from the north and west is frequent.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

On 03/10/2017 at 9:56 PM, Kane said:

Hi Gary, I think these are exposed fragments of brachiopods. You have a really nice impression in the centre there. Those fingernail like shapes are more brachiopod shell pieces showing (if you looked at them from  their edges). This rock tells us that the conditions for how these fossils came to be deposited were very high energy! If you've ever seen a modern sea shore with shells, you see how they all accumulate. This is probably what happened here! It's a pretty cool "snapshot" of a prehistoric sea. In terms of age, I hope our UK fossil collectors will be able to say more. Nice find! :) 

Hi Kane I've been told this is around 400 million yrs old and there are many erratics from all different ages in my area so I can't wait to get back out, happy hunting