Victor Torres

Good afternoon.  

This fish and mold with neither head or tail comes from the same group of concretions that yielded the Devonian trilobite Eldredgeia.

The specimen is a body of 29 mm in length and 15 mm at its widest part. The lack of head complicates the ID. I believe it is a small type of cephalaspis such as Pattenaspis, Mimetaspis o Diademaspis, but I am looking for help to ID it.

I would appreciate any help I can get

Thank you,

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.8161e2cae307a8d609233eee8f272247.jpgFullSizeRender_2.thumb.jpg.04fd997a253902eac23ff29b8399a01f.jpgFullSizeRender_1.thumb.jpg.6040a186245e9483c755e77c5679e43f.jpg

I second conularid, and a very exceptionally well preserved one at that. Most Devonian fish will appear as plates that are mostly tubercular in texture as opposed to these ridges/striations we see on the conularia. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

For sure conularid 

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Very nice photo. I am convinced it is a Conularidae. 

Thank you.

This is very helpful.

If it is Paraconularia ulrichana from the Eifelian it was found associated with Eldredgeia, I believe Eldredgeia eocryphaeus, reported from the Scaphiocoelia Assemblage Zone in the Lower Member of the Belem Formation, Lower Devonian.

Are my stratigraphic ranges right?

Victor, correct, as far as I know Eldredgeia eocryphaeus is also reported from the Belén Formation.

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Thank you Thomas.

What puzzles me is that Eldredgeia eocryphaeus is reported from the Lochkovian-Pragian while Paraconularia ulrichana from the Eifelian.

If the known stratigraphic ranges for these species do not overlap perhaps the ranges will have to be updated.

Victor