Priscacara?

Miocene_Mason

Found this for sale, green river fish that has been placed in plaster for some odd reason. It looks to me two have two knightia and a large fish that is headless. It was not identified in the listing, it looks like a cockerellites or priscacara to me but I know nothing about these fish (if it is what I think it is its way underpriced so I'll buy it). Also, is there any restoration apart from the wierd plaster around it?

IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, WhodamanHD said:

some odd reason

It was probably too fragile to handle otherwise. I don't see it as a problem.

• I found this Informative 1

20 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It was probably too fragile to handle otherwise. I don't see it as a problem.

That makes sense. It's a little unsightly, I may cover it up with wood or something if I get it. I've just now realized that I don't actually have any green river fossil in my collection.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

30 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

I've just now realized that I don't actually have any green river fossil in my collection.

You should buy an unprepared one from a reputable quarry in the 18 " layer. They make good winter projects. 

39 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

You should buy an unprepared one from a reputable quarry in the 18 " layer. They make good winter projects. 

I don't have the skills, or more importantly the patients for that however I may try later (after I get finished with my other novice prep jobs, mostly consolidation and clearing soft matrix so I have enough confidence to tackle slightly more complicated tasks) thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, FossilDudeCO said:

do you have any better pictures or can you PM me a link?

I think I have an idea.

PM sent, sadly only three pictures and the other is of the back. I can ask for more, is there a specific part you would like a picture of? 

What's your suspicion?

Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

This is a real treasure you have found there @WhodamanHD.

Thanks for sending me the link so I can view the bigger images.

This is an Asineops squamifrons

There was a layer of these at the Smith Hollow quarry, which I suspect this one to be from. It is between the split fish and the 18-inch layer and comes out on just the nastiest roughest looking rock which is why they stabilized it with plaster. They just don't dig them out much due to the fact of bad rock, hard prep, and weird layer.

This fish has a moderate disarticulation to the head which is common, with multiple species. For the price I would snap this up right now.

You were very close with your assumption of Priscacara or Cockerellites! These guys have a very similar appearance but note the lack of dorsal spines and anal spines.

• I found this Informative 3

7 minutes ago, FossilDudeCO said:

There was a layer of these at the Smith Hollow quarry, which I suspect this one to be from. It is between the split fish and the 18-inch layer and comes out on just the nastiest roughest looking rock which is why they stabilized it with plaster. They just don't dig them out much due to the fact of bad rock, hard prep, and weird layer.

This fish has a moderate disarticulation to the head which is common, with multiple species. For the price I would snap this up right now.

You were very close with your assumption of Priscacara or Cockerellites! These guys have a very similar appearance but note the lack of dorsal spines and anal spines.

Thank you SO MUCH! I owe you one! It has been Bought by myself, I kinda feel bad for the seller but from the sounds of it he just wants to get the fossils sold, and I helped him out earlier with an ID.

Happy hunting,

Mason

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

I don't have the skills, or more importantly the patients for that however I may try later

" No skills" is NOT an excuse. Sorry for the double negative for those grammatically inclined. These are great for novice preppers. All you need is a box cutter for rough work and a needle or scalpel blade for finer work. Results won't be 100% professional but you can come close!! At least some moderate patience however is needed. Try it. you will love it!!  I am in the process of cleaning my first group of Green River fish so I am as novice as you. My results are very acceptable. 

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

13 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

" No skills" is NOT an excuse. Sorry for the double negative for those grammatically inclined. These are great for novice preppers. All you need is a box cutter for rough work and a needle or scalpel blade for finer work. Results won't be 100% professional but you can come close!! At least some moderate patience however is needed. Try it. you will love it!!  I am in the process of cleaning my first group of Green River fish so I am as novice as you. My results are very acceptable. 

Mike

Dang, you got me there! I'll get to that soon, gotta buy a new scribe. I also need the time, but I could find some. When I get 'round to it I'll be sure to post the results (satisfactory or otherwise).

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

gotta buy a new scribe

Naw. I just ground the end of a couple chainsaw files to the shape of a small chisel and a rounded point. To finish I used a sewing needle stuck in a heat softened plastic rod. 

No duct tape required. :)

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Naw. I just ground the end of a couple chainsaw files to the shape of a small chisel and a rounded point. To finish I used a sewing needle stuck in a heat softened plastic rod. 

No duct tape required. :)

I mean a manual scribe btw, I need one anyway for some other material (I'm lucky enough that a forum member gave me some practice prep) but I could improvise before then!

Happy hunting,

Mason

That Blake certainly knows his stuff!  Ive never heard of this fish before?   Nice find and nice purchase whodamanHD.

RB

10 hours ago, RJB said:

That Blake certainly knows his stuff!  Ive never heard of this fish before?   Nice find and nice purchase whodamanHD.

RB

Thanks! I'm quite happy myself!

Happy hunting,

Mason

Got it in the mail today! From tip to tip it's about 7 inches, and it is superb other than some head disarticulation and some broken verts (which look cool because it reveals the calcite inside). Thanks to everyone that helped! I also am about to purchase an unprepped knightia from @FossilDudeCO

Thanks again!

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3274.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3279.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

IMG_3280.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

Happy hunting,

Mason

1 hour ago, ynot said:

Nice find!

Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 10 October 2017 at 12:36 AM, FossilDudeCO said:

Nope, don't think so . Not Asineops squamifrons but an Amyzon gosiutichthys from Farson.

Thomas

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

I have to agree with Thomas, definitely looks more like Amyzon gosiutichthys.

See this comparison:

amyzon-vert.jpg

The fin shape and placement more closely align with Amyzon.

Good call, @oilshale. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, oilshale said:

Nope, don't think so . Not Asineops squamifrons but an Amyzon gosiutichthys from Farson.

Thomas

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

I have to agree with Thomas, definitely looks more like Amyzon gosiutichthys.

See this comparison:

amyzon-vert.jpg

The fin shape and placement more closely align with Amyzon.

Good call, @oilshale. :) 

This is correct, I sent an Email to Lance Grande and he confirmed it. Still happy though, just about as rare as asineops.Thanks All! 

Happy hunting,

Mason