Mazon Plant?

Rockpit

I found one half of a worn open nodule with asterisk-like grooves crossing the surface.  This is a cleaned up version.  Is it a fossil or just strange weathering?DSC02043.thumb.JPG.d8b237c09687223ac5a5f88d425f2347.JPGDSC02044.thumb.JPG.5e92bce5ff1e9cb8e9b0133f3daa7fa9.JPGDSC02045.thumb.JPG.b5709fb4d3a2a8d30de1f70fc8942066.JPG

5 minutes ago, coled18 said:

Looks like it may be the imprint of a Sphenopsid like Annularia. 

+1 for that.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Now my mouth is watering, did I mention I love plant fossils. :plant:

Never ask a starfish for directions

DSC02191.thumb.JPG.0d983db40160245acd68f2a1f0fc7a27.JPGThanks everyone,  @KimTexan and @Nimravis cool pictures!  I think I may have opened a couple of more Annularia.  Unfortunately, the small part of the first one cracked off when I was freezing and thawing it and the other part did not totally break off with the hammer.  I have to be more patient.DSC02177.thumb.JPG.f12c8c5588a39b5b3dd8e3ec6166ebfa.JPG

some original Zeiller showing Annularia

Source/title of the work(transl.): Mineral deposits of Brive: the flora of the coal-bearing strata and the Permianzeill5t6hb.jpg

On 10/19/2017 at 11:03 PM, Nimravis said:

Yes, it is a weathered Annularia.

IMG_7608.thumb.JPG.e019a5e4da888176cdfb775762849196.JPGIMG_7609.thumb.JPG.e5558a3006638a1040f80c8e3763fef2.JPG

Wow! Those are gorgeous! I have fossil envy! I'm not sure I've had that before. Maybe over an ammonite or two, but I never went dreamy eyed over a fossil before.

I am also a lover of plant fossils. Botany is one of my things. There was a time I could have told you the scenitific name of nearly every plant in the Hawaiian Islands. I did my field natural history study there. That's how much I love plants and botany.

In my neck of the woods there are next to no plant fossils like that, at least none that I've found.

Boy would I love to have some time hunting where you found those. They're absolutely beautiful. Thank you very much for sharing them!

52 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

Wow! Those are gorgeous! I have fossil envy! I'm not sure I've had that before. Maybe over an ammonite or two, but I never went dreamy eyed over a fossil before.

I am also a lover of plant fossils. Botany is one of my things. There was a time I could have told you the scenitific name of nearly every plant in the Hawaiian Islands. I did my field natural history study there. That's how much I love plants and botany.

In my neck of the woods there are next to no plant fossils like that, at least none that I've found.

Boy would I love to have some time hunting where you found those. They're absolutely beautiful. Thank you very much for sharing them!

Glad you like them Kim,  Mazon Creek produces some pretty plants