The 3D/3Q Trip - Day Two - Brechin

Kane

Typing this on the tablet at a hotel in Oshawa as so many of us are eagerly awaiting Bowmanville tomorrow. 

On this day, a lot of folks came to Brechin and broke some rock. Deb and I did not get as much time with everyone as we were skulking the upper ledges, and we arrived at about 11:30 (others were there far earlier!).

Just a few pics to share as I filled two buckets, but only took a few fossils into the room. Others will have some photos of finds to share, too. 

Four hours, and I barely made it around the main bend on the third level - so much to sift through! Here are two pics of stuff someone else must have uncovered by the time I got there. I left it alone, but that is one long crinoid stem, and a big ol' Endoceras:

IMG_4281.JPG

IMG_4282.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Here in the room, a pic of just a few finds. Not shown are all the other nice gastros, brachs, nautiloids, and some impressive Isotelus trilo partials - that will all have to wait until I get back home after tomorrow.

Hotel light is not ideal, but a few nice pieces.  Check out that crazy, finger-long gastro! Bottom row has an almost complete baby Isotelus, two full Flexicalymene senaria, and a nice-sized Isotelus partial. But, again, so much more in the car!

More pics to come...

And now only 12 hours until the gates open at Bowmanville!

IMG_4283.JPG

Amazing Day.... some really great stuff found. We had about a dozen hard core up bashing rock. By my count at least a dozen pleurocystites were found, a number of nice crinoids, an amazing bumastoides, a couple of ceraurus, a number of flexies, a couple of unknowns. I think every person walked away with something they were pleased with. Even Northern Sharks had a decent day............ (he may have the crinoid score of the day). Even had to lend the other K. some gas as he was using his saw so much cutting stuff out for people.....

Bowmanville next stop............

Nice, love those trilos!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

What a cute little Isotelus sp.!  And what a big guy next to him!!!  Do you think there is more of the big guy underneath the matrix, or has his exoskeleton flaked off?

Nice gastropods as well!  I wish I could find some like that around here! 

Looking forward to seeing what finds are made at Bowmanville today...

Looks like a lot of fun Kane.  Guestion:  Do folks try and get out those long crinoid stems?  Is the rock stable enough for that?

RB

As I'm stiffening up from the weekends adventures, I figure I'll post a couple of my finds. First is the aforementioned crinoid, about 4 inches or so long.  As found, neither Crinus nor Kevin B., both experts on the area's echinoderms and both in attendance, could identify it. The stumper is the triangle at the base of the calyx. Both seem to think that triangle is a cystoid or at least a cystoid plate on top of the crinoid. I guess that will be first on my prep list.

Second is only a Thaleops trilobite head, but what's unusual is that it clearly shows what I believe are the muscle attachment points. They look like a 6 as rolled on a dice with finer lines connecting them.

Lastly is what Crinus considered the find of the day. On a small slab are 13 juvenile Hindia sp. sponges (they look like stone marbles). All but 2 were loose and as Crinus was "oohing and aaahing" over it, he asked if I was just going to take the loose ones, or the entire piece. I guess I answered correctly when I said all of it. Single loose Hindias are uncommon enough to find, but a cluster in matrix from this quarry is unheard of. It may not have the sex-appeal of a trilobite or echinoderm, but to each his own.

20171021_115052.jpg

20171021_135130.jpg

20171021_144452.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I've got nothing on the crinoid.  I don't know of any with a triangular structure like that, and I suspect it's not actually part of the specimen, or it's a displaced plate.  Maybe the ID will become more clear as the calyx and arms are uncovered.

I've never seen an aggregation of Hindia like that before.  Keeper for sure.

Don

12 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

Lastly is what Crinus considered the find of the day. On a small slab are 13 juvenile Hindia sp. sponges (they look like stone marbles). All but 2 were loose and as Crinus was "oohing and aaahing" over it, he asked if I was just going to take the loose ones, or the entire piece. I guess I answered correctly when I said all of it. Single loose Hindias are uncommon enough to find, but a cluster in matrix from this quarry is unheard of. It may not have the sex-appeal of a trilobite or echinoderm, but to each his own.

I think that finding 13 of any one species (or genus) in one rock is pretty amazing - congratulations on the fantastic find!!! :yay-smiley-1:

Monica

A few more of the finds coming this way...

This is a new one for me. It is the lower left impression of an Amphilichas (?)ottawensis trilobite, which is somewhat rare as trilobites go in that formation. The exoskeleton appears to have been caught on its impression side. The rock was pretty weathered by this point, so there was not much hope of locating more of it.

IMG_4181.JPG

The biggest Prasapora I've come across - had to be picked up and put in the bucket, as much as Prasos are kind of meh.

IMG_4182.JPG

The biggest of the nautiloid pieces I picked up. I would have picked up that huge Endoceras proteiforme, too, but there already was marking tape around it.

IMG_4183.JPG

For the folks who like hash plates (I know you're out there). 

IMG_4184.JPG

Clockwise from top: nautiloid, mini-shell hash, and a rusophycus.

IMG_4185.JPG

Bits and pieces, odds and sods. Plenty of brachs (mostly Rhynchotrema capax), some nice gastros (Fusispria, trochonomella, lophospira), some bryozoans, and even a few trilo-bits, a nautiloid piece, etc.

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

An Isotelus fragment photo-bomb. These I pick up for prep practice or trades. I have a few more that just wouldn't fit in the picture.

IMG_4187.JPG

Wow! Looks like a bunch of cool stuff was found! 

Thanks for posting your finds, gentlemen. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Another "family photo" of our intrepid Brechin bunch. Photo by Deb. Two other folks hadn't made it up the hill for the shot, but were with us the following day too. 

IMG_1168.jpg

There is no doubt that the plate of Hindia was the find of the day.  This is a rare find. Trilobites and crinoids are common compared to the plate of Hindia.  If Northern Shark had proposed a swap for the edrios I brought for him that would have happened lightening fast.  Those would have been a remarkable addition to my "Brechin" collection.

I know there were some people chuckling about my find of the day but if you are a " Brechin" collector they actually were.  It was a plate of Prasopora.  Wish I could have taken it out in one piece but it was just too big.  Here is a picture of it in two pieces.  There was a fifth specimen but it got away.  Still I am very happy with my find for stop #2 (stop #3 was even better).  

prasopora.jpg

1 minute ago, FossilDAWG said:

So: Kane, Shamalama, ?, ?, Quarryman Dave, Malcom, ?, and ?.  Did I get that right?

Don

Almost... on Malcolm’s right is @Northern Sharks. Sorry for not providing a key... Not sure about the politics of naming folks in a public space without their consent. :P

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

So: Kane, Shamalama, ?, ?, Quarryman Dave, Malcom, ?, and ?.  Did I get that right?

Don

L-R) Kane, Shamalama, non-member, non-member, me (Northern Sharks), Malcolm, non-member, non-posting/former member Trilobitologist. Crinus missed the photo op.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

• 4 months later...

Amazing! 

What a fantastic locality! 

So much droolworthy stuff! 

WOW! :envy:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

• 5 months later...