Dino flesh and skin fossil?

B.Davies

Hi all, found this fossil, thought it was tree bark or sediment layers until i turned piece over. Looks to be a skin and soft tissue fossil, has small (approx 1mm) scale like bumps on front face, and what appears to be a meeting point to bones, possibly ribs on rear, with a distint layer between resembling a muscle layer. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, B.Davies

3586430.jpeg

3586433.jpeg

3586434.jpeg

fossil-1.jpg

20171022_100613-1.jpg

These are wave ripples, sedimentary structures produced by the orbital motion of water generated by waves in shallow water.

Wind (and current ) directions change and each sedimentary layer can have different direction ripples. Even the same layer can have different directions depending on the topography of the substrate. Picture a flat beach with the tide going out, you will see ripples in a wide variety of orientations. 

• I found this Informative 2

I have spoken to a geologist who has stated that it does not appear to be of natural formation, but is more likely a mummification, and advised i get a paleontologist's opinion. The layer at front is at 90degrees to layers at rear, which cant occur at tides :/

We have ripples like that over here in some places, and I remember one that looked exactly like yours. It's pretty amazing when you think about it, wave action many millions of years ago is still there today! Here are some similar specimens. Some in Antarctica have been able to deduce currents, depth, and a lot of other things based on the distancing of them. Dinosaur skin is more 'scaly' typically, remember not to get caught in a confirmation bias (something I have been guilty of).

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It's nice ripples. And you don't get dinosaur skin in West Wales  (which is where you said it's from on another forum). :) 

Tarquin

Great ripple marks, if you collect fossil the ripples it makes a great display piece for showing off your ammonites or trilobites. Looks like a seabed diorama. I used to show off my ammonites like this when I had more space. Here's my ripple marks to compare with yours.

cheers Bobby 

IMG_0726.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Still curious to understand how other layers fall at 90degrees to top layer, i too thought it was ripple marks until examined closer. 

4 minutes ago, B.Davies said:

Still curious to understand how other layers fall at 90degrees to top layer, i too thought it was ripple marks until examined closer. 

These are normal, you may have seen them on ripples on the beach. Here is typical dinosaur skin, very different.

IMG_3320.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

57 minutes ago, B.Davies said:

Hi it is probably just like @westcoast said different wind directions that laid down sand in different ways over time. I did split open one of my ripple mark rocks and it too revealed different ripples in different directions  . 

Thrusting, faulting, folding, and other geologic processes can cause layers to change orientation.  ;)

Geology is pretty amazing. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 hours ago, B.Davies said:

has small (approx 1mm) scale like bumps on front face

Under some conditions what appear to be larger pieces now have actually been recrystallized from what were fine grained sediments at the time.

• I found this Informative 1

Please take a photo of your specimen with a scale beside, preferably a ruler in metric system, also a view of the back side and end views might be helpful.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Abyssunder beat me to it. To get an ID please post an internationally recognised scale (mm) 

Ripple marks go me too. Saw some great ones on Friday in the West Midlands 

Edited by JohnBrewer
Grammar

Hi John I would like too see them ripple marks can you please tell me where they are in the west mindlands .

thanks Bobby 

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi John I would like too see them ripple marks can you please tell me where they are in the west mindlands .

thanks Bobby 

Hi Bobby

here’s a report I made in August 

Last Friday three of us @thelivingdead531 and @Barerootbonsai made a trip there. Certainly @thelivingdead531 took a pic of the amazing sea bed. When you look at it in reality’s it shows the different textures and directions of the sea bed over millions of years as pieces fall off. Probably the best example in the UK if not Europe and even possibly the world. I never tire of seeing this when I visit the area. 

We we may revisit in the spring and you’re most welcome to join us. Different areas reveal different types of fossils. If you ply us with lots of beer we might just show you the coral, Branchiopoda, Gastropoda and trilobite areas, they’re all in different places. ;) 

Unfortunately, I didn't get a closeup of the sea bed, though I meant to. I was too focused on finding those fossils. :ighappy: 

Hi @JohnBrewer   I would be really pleased to join you next year. Your trip too the Black Country looked great  or as they would say in Dudly "bostin"  . l am also very happy trade beers for info .  :D

thanks for the kind offer and I am looking forward too it.

Cheers Bobby 

On 2017/10/22 at 9:41 AM, B.Davies said:

Isn't it called cross-bedding when it does that? 

http://www.pitt.edu/~cejones/GeoImages/5SedimentaryRocks/SedStructures/CrossBedding1.html

Here's a picture to help visualize it: 

CrossBeds.jpg

It's a fairly common, though interesting, sedimentary structure. 

+1 for ripple marks.