Brazos River, Texas - Sloth Bone

Mike Price

This bone was dug out of the sand high bank on the Brazos river after Hurricane Harvey. There are other bones. But the sand bank is still to unstable to dig out the other bones until next summer.

It weighs 7 lbs - 3ozs

Anyone know what it belonged to?

Thanks......

20171026_153329-1.jpg

Start w sloth tibia, Megalonyx or Paramylodon.

• I found this Informative 3

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thank you, Uncle Siphuncle.... And now I'll obsess over the other 2 exposed bones and how to dig them and any others out, without causing and getting caught in a landslide. Obsess I will.... Thanks again, Sir.

Thats awesome I agree juvenile sloth tibia or femur, it's not that often that one gets to dig on associated sloth stuff...congrats on your find

Edited by Stagmooser
  • I found this Informative 1

I'm more than will to come help. You can stand on my shoulders. Or you can hold a rope while I repel down.

Seriously though, pm me if you want help trying to fetch more before another big storm washes it away. I'm close.

Thanks y'all, and I'll keep your eager offer in mind, Gary.

It would be suicide to try and dig in that area at this time. The high sand bank has a serious overhang with several 1000 yds of very unstable dirt, sand and clay.

I'm thinking, based on other fossil remains that have been found in this area over the years, the sloth bones are a bloat and float. And some of the bones were most likely washed away by strong flood currents and possibly even after the banks were eroding from being saturated. The high banks need to dry out before I'll even attempt to climb and dig under that overhang again. I'm watching the situation and I'll try to dig accordingly.

Im currently digging on a paleo site that was exposed. It's on somewhat level and stable ground....lol

Thanks again.

Just throw a few strategically placed tannerite charges up there, step back and pop ‘em with a veinte dos, just sayin’...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Just now, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Just throw a few strategically placed tantarite charges up there, step back and pop ‘em with a veinte dos, just sayin’...

lol..... Great minds do think alike, ha... Yes, I have considered hanging a couple of strategically placed charges under that overhange and let 5.56 work it out. I'm still stuck in the considering stage tho....lol

Still might be worth the climb even if a landslide gets you. Just imagine the joy another fossil hunter will have several thousand years from now when they dig up your bones and you're hugging a sloth femur!

7 minutes ago, garyc said:

Still might be worth the climb even if a landslide gets you. Just imagine the joy another fossil hunter will have several thousand years from now when they dig up your bones and you're hugging a sloth femur!

I'd much rather be found hugging a big sloth claw....cheeeese

• 1 month later...