Big Brook, NJ What could this be?

P. Lake

Hello Folks,

I am new to this Forum and would appreciate any help that could be given. I recently went to Big Brook in NJ and unfortunately struck out finding shark teeth. I did however find this potential fossil. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? I am new to this so have nothing to compare it to. I have a ton more photos. The object is 7/8" on it's longest side and has two interlocking pieces.

Thanks,

Peter

20171028_101035_1509202300748.jpg

20171028_100944_1509202273308.jpg

More pics

20171028_100950_1509202273606.jpg

20171028_101005_1509202273723.jpg

20171028_101019_1509202300530.jpg

Looks like a couple of sections of a heteromporph ammonite to me. The pretty patterns are the suture lines that separate the chambers. 

Is It Cretaceous?

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

A part of ammonite !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I don't mean to doubt you because I can assure you I know nothing, but I can't find any references of ammonite online that have these sorts or interlocking sections.

2 minutes ago, P. Lake said:

I don't mean to doubt you because I can assure you I know nothing, but I can't find any references of ammonite online that have these sorts or interlocking sections.

Welcome to TFF!

Search for "ammonite sutures" - that should help.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I retract my previous comment, I found a picture of ammonite sutures and that seems accurate. I suppose I am used to seeing them curved and the one I have is straight on both sides.

i.jpg

Thank you all!

The straightness makes makes me think baculite as well, though ammonites do end like this (if I can take a picture of one of mine I will later). 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Those are often sphenodiscus species but I am not well versed enough in ammonite ID to tell for sure. I have found many segments but interconnected ones are less common

Two 'segments' (chambers) of Baculite. link

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

That looks like a baculite (straight-shelled ammonite) section to me . Congratulations. One in that good of condition showing well preserved suture patterns is a really excellent find for Big Brook, way better than a pile of sharks teeth. 

• I found this Informative 2

Whoa, nice!! If I had to guess the baculite to shark tooth ratio there, I would say I find about... Several thousand shark teeth to every baculite! Seriously, thats a very nice find!!

• I found this Informative 1