Possible osteoderm?

Peace river rat

First off, apologies for low quality pics, only a lap top camera here. I was hoping some one can ID this oddball. My guess is some kind of osteoderm from a glyptodont or tortoise?

I will try to update this thread with better pics. (have to get my friends smart phone and have them e mailed to my computer. Sorry double post, tried to delete it but cant seem to. Can a moderator please delete one post?

WIN_20171028_15_35_08_Pro.jpg

WIN_20171028_15_35_18_Pro.jpg

WIN_20171028_15_35_57_Pro.jpg

Pics are a little tough but I’d say possible tortoise denticles that are attached:)

• I found this Informative 1

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

15 minutes ago, jcbshark said:

Pics are a little tough but I’d say possible tortoise denticles that are attached:)

Is a denticle the same as an osteoderm? Is osteoderm (bone skin)?  It sure is an odd find. Thanks jcbshark!

This looks like a pair of marginals from a glyptonont carapace

Denticles are embryological teeth in origin.  Osteoderms originate in the dermis.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I would take Harry’s opinion over my own, he’s a resident expert:)

Just now, jcbshark said:

I would take Harry’s opinion over my own, he’s a resident expert:)

He made me feel good! I suspected that was what is was (or tortoise) since I found it way back in early spring. I have learned quite a bit in my short time digging and can usually identify 95% of my finds.

It drives me nuts not to know what something is. I go to bed, not quite losing sleep over it, but definitely pondering it!

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

This looks like a pair of marginals from a glyptonont carapace

Denticles are embryological teeth in origin.  Osteoderms originate in the dermis.

Thanks Harry! Very imformative, this piece has puzzeled me for months!  

One more question, is a scute the same as an osteoderm!

1 minute ago, Peace river rat said:

He made me feel good! I suspected that was what is was (or tortoise) since I found it way back in early spring. I have learned quite a bit in my short time digging and can usually identify 95% of my finds.

It drives me nuts not to know what something is. I go to bed, not quite losing sleep over it, but definitely pondering it!

you can always take pieces you question to some of the local fossil shows that occur around the state. I’ve taken a few pieces for IDs to the show at fort Meyers at the shell factory with stuff I’ve wondered about and Dr. Hulbert has been on hand to take a look at whatever was brought in :)

Just now, jcbshark said:

you can always take pieces you question to some of the local fossil shows that occur around the state. I’ve taken a few pieces for IDs to the show at fort Meyers at the shell factory with stuff I’ve wondered about and Dr. Hulbert has been on hand to take a look at whatever was brought in :)

I don't get out of Arcadia often, last season, Mark Renz had tour groups here often, I would always thank him for his "expert" opinion on my pieces, he was to humble to claim that title, but he did teach me quite a bit and took time to answer my questions, even though I am a local, not a client. A great guy!

TFF has also taught me quite a bit. Thanks to all TFF members!

4 minutes ago, Peace river rat said:

I don't get out of Arcadia often, last season, Mark Renz had tour groups here often, I would always thank him for his "expert" opinion on my pieces, he was to humble to claim that title, but he did teach me quite a bit and took time to answer my questions, even though I am a local, not a client. A great guy!

TFF has also taught me quite a bit. Thanks to all TFF members!

I’ve never met him personally but his books helped me quite a bit when I got into hunting. I also tip a hat to all the members that help folks on here. It’s a great forum for sure

• I found this Informative 1