Coprolite?

Bess

Hello, two days ago, my brother found this fossil-looking thing near his elementary school in Hamilton, NJ. I thought it was a coprolite after seeing a picture that look almost exactly like it, the same type of rock, size, and even the lines going across it. At first, I thought it was a trilobite, because of the segmented shape, a "cephalon" lobe in the front with a large "pleural lobe" in the back. But that isn't very likely (I guess), because only a small portion of my area has Cambrian age rock. The whole rock looks like it's made of even smaller rocks.

59f672737e3b4_20171029_200756(2).thumb.jpg.b78eb62774d06c6ac0306d39978fe02e.jpgThis is the top view. If it was anything other than coprolite (like a fossil of a living thing), then I would say that the left side would be the front. Sorry that you can't really see the ruler. It is 1 and 1 half inches long.

Rock2.thumb.jpg.80fb7182c58fd8f496b347329903ec53.jpgA better view of the segments on the top. The lobe on the left made me think it was a trilobite.

I hope two pictures is enough for a start, but I will try uploading more later. Thank you in advance!:)

I can't see this as being more than geologic, but I know very little on how to properly identify coprolites (and I know it does not resemble any of the coprolites in my collection). I think a job like this calls for the expertise of @GeschWhat! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Looks to me like some worn quartzite or sandstone.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

It could be a concretion with iron content, so I agree with Tony on this one.

Rock2.jpg.f1f14ccdb2f277817650ae571633a41f.thumb.jpg.463c212aa1d31e7dd4e550046020fd89.jpgconcretion_joel1.jpg.67fd494d638c331195389ea29809980b.jpg

comparative picture from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library