Is there a specific name for this fossil? Does it bring value?

gw8706

I find quite a few rocks with many shells engraved in the rocks. What is the correct ID of these types of fossils? Also, are they worth anything? Thanks for your help!

IMG_20171106_220932643.jpg

This is the other side.

IMG_20171106_220909809.jpg

Value is relative,and this forum has strict rules regarding giving opinions on "value"(in the monetary sense).

These are brachiopod fossils. General location where found will help in providing a more specific identification if you are interested in genus.  Nice finds!

The second photo reminds me of Rafinesquina.

• I found this Informative 1

In a non-financial sense: a fossil becomes/is valuable in the scientific sense if it offers new insights on distribution of the plant/animal in space and time,living habits,past environments,classification,and anatomy.

Might be chonetids,judging form the ornament,but that's even beyond "preliminary asessment":P

Fossildawg is right,of course.

• I found this Informative 4

4 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

These are brachiopod fossils. General location where found will help in providing a more specific identification if you are interested in genus.  Nice finds!

The second photo reminds me of Rafinesquina.

Thank you! It was in Northeast Missouri USA about 20 miles west of the Mississippi River in a small creek.

looks like Rafinisquina sp. (Ordovician) or Orthotetes sp. (Mississippian), Deoending on location or age of the rocks

• I found this Informative 3

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

4 minutes ago, gw8706 said:

Thank you! It was in Northeast Missouri USA about 20 miles west of the Mississippi River in a small creek.

Looks like it might be Mississippian? (Of course stream finds can be complicated because they can be transported from rocks of various time periods, not to mention glacial deposits).  Here's geologic map of Missouri 

Screenshot_20171106-233232.thumb.jpg.333a81353c28fc363f94f083ee8155af.jpg

Could be something like Orthotetes.

@FossilDAWG might be able to help.

@Herb beat me to the Orthotetes possibility. He is always quick and to the point:)

• I found this Informative 2

Much like antuiqes, you can say it worth X dollars, but what counts is what you can get.

Having said that, I don't dig for the $ but the joy of discovery, I will likely will my (some what) extensive collection to any interested family, barring that, to the local library or something.

Fossils are and will always be priceless, they are to valuable in research and in nature of things but some people will put a price on fossils , but don't let that distract you , when it becomes about money you will lose your gift and it will turn into a job , discover and enjoy nature keep exploring and asking important questions. These are very large brachiopod fossils , shell like filter feeders that would have lived on the sea floor sometimes with stalks to keep them afloat.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:46 AM, PyritizeMe said:

Fossils are and will always be priceless, they are to valuable in research and in nature of things but some people will put a price on fossils , but don't let that distract you , when it becomes about money you will lose your gift and it will turn into a job , discover and enjoy nature keep exploring and asking important questions. These are very large brachiopod fossils , shell like filter feeders that would have lived on the sea floor sometimes with stalks to keep them 

Thanks for your info. I'll be honest, I've never sold a fossil in my life. I have a ton of them that I plan to use for my garden next spring. But these shell fossils are a dime a dozen where I am, and I'm trying to figure out how to buy kid's Christmas present this year. I agree otherwise, fossils are priceless.