Jaw Bone

OldBones1977

I have been hunting snakes in a small patch of woods by my house. I live in central Oklahoma in a urban area. The woods has dry creek that floods when it rains. My 7 year

old son and I find bones each time. No clue what they are. I know they are old and his excitement at finding them is priceless. Looking for help.

IMG_4797.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

I've not hunted snakes in Oklahoma.  What species do you expect to find in your urban woods?

amythestine_python.jpg

Oklahoma regularly does a Rattlesnake hunt; many people participate and have a festival at the end (Okeene Rattlesnake Hunt being a prominent one). Other common snakes in Oklahoma include Copperheads, Cotton Mouths, and your typical garden snakes.

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

Did you recognize the snake in my image, Jesuslover340?  I don't expect to hear about amythestine pythons in Central Oklahoma.

I had forgotten about the Okeene rattlesnake roundup -- a crime against Nature.  After decades of settlement, venomous snakes become uncommon in urban areas.  It's been years since I've encountered a rattlesnake in my exurban yard here in Florida.  I was thinking more about the "typical garden snakes" in Central Oklahoma.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

34 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Did you recognize the snake in my image, Jesuslover340?  I don't expect to hear about amythestine pythons in Central Oklahoma.

I had forgotten about the Okeene rattlesnake roundup -- a crime against Nature.  After decades of settlement, venomous snakes become uncommon in urban areas.  It's been years since I've encountered a rattlesnake in my exurban yard here in Florida.  I was thinking more about the "typical garden snakes" in Central Oklahoma.

No, I didn't-I've never taken the steps to adequately verse myself in snake identification; I just stay away from the lot of them in the wild :P

I can honestly say I never saw any Rattlers "in the wild" when I lived in Oklahoma. I did see two Copperheads-one on the doorstep and one out near a cabin we were staying in.

Venomous snakes are more plentiful in urban areas around here-more than I would like :ank:

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

4 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I formerly bred Australian pythons, but no longer.

moreliaemail.jpg

Awesome! I hope to breed them one day, Australian reptiles are another hobby of mine.