Trip to Alpena, MI

dalmayshun

Last year i thought I was going to be able to get to Alpena. Michigan  while at my daughters in Grand Haven, but I wasn't able to. This year, I will be there for three weeks, and so plan to travel across the state. So... I am wondering if someone would recommend a good area to go. I have looked up a bit about Rockford? and there is apparently an Evergreen cemetary with fossils along an edge, but the sources I found were a couple of years old. I have already had the experience of traveling several hours only to find a new housing development build over the site I wanted to check out...so I am trying to same some time, but find recent locations. In addition to hunting the Lake Shore south of Grand Haven, are there any sites near Grand Rapids to look. I have heard there are fossil banks on the river, but I won't have my kayak along this time, so I need firm ground. I am also hoping I don't have to dust off a layer of snow simply in order to check out the rocks. LOL. Thanks to anyone who helps. 

Here are some spots of which I am aware.  You'll need a state park pass to get into the state park.  I think you might be able to buy these in advance online.  There won't be a booth to do so onsite.  Search TFF, as there are lots of posts about Alpena locations.

LaFarge Fossil Park Alpena, Michigan (Bess Museum property)

Rockport State Park along Lake Huron, Alpena (Bell shale)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/48439-where-to-go-for-fossil-hunting-around-alpena-michigan/

Hope this helps.  Good luck and HH!

Thanks, I wonder though, for the State of Michigan, can one take home fossils from state parks, or state land...do I need a permit there. In Florida, one needs a permit for vertebrate fossils, and can't take any thing from State land or pick up any Native American artifacts. I had looked up some of those locations, but they were dated from 2014...alot changes in 3 years. So I was hoping to have a more recent update. Thanks for answering me, and suggesting places however. 

@dalmayshunI don't believe you need a permit to collect at Rockport.  There is a 25 lb per person, per annum limit.  There are large (very large) spoil piles there from previous quarrying.  There are also some in situ exposures.  You will need an entry pass.  I think it is technically a state "recreation area".  You can always call to be sure, but all the Alpena tourist sites say that you can fossil collect there.  As long as there is no snow, you will find fossils and lots of them

• I found this Informative 1

@dalmayshun

Day passport is $9 and is availalable online for non-residents.  Annual is ~$30.  They can also be purchased at any state park (that has an open booth / visitors center - which I don't think Rockport has, so you'd have to buy it at another SP)

Park Passports

• I found this Informative 1

I copied this review from somewhere, but I don't remember where (I collect and keep such things in a database for future trips and reference).

"probably one of the most popular fossil hunting sites in the state, people come from all over to look for fossils and it is permitted to take home up to 25 lb a year so long as you don't change the nature of the landscape. When you enter the park the road curves to the right and leads to a boat ramp and a parking lot. There is beach access to the right at the top of the parking lot area down a fairly steep bank but the path is well worn. The lake here can be very wild and dangerous to enter and there are usually waves, but worn fossils can be found in the shale, some are silica corals with a black Matrix. Very dramatic. If the waves are really high this beach is best left alone.  To the left of the boat ramps is an abandoned Pier then a huge pile of slag surrounded by lesser piles. There is a separate parking lot near the slag heaps which also is close to the trail. Standing in the parking lot facing the slag heaps the trailhead is to the left and there is a Worn Path through the brush and a bush marked with an orange tag. Follow just a 100 ft or so to come out on the trail. Here is where we will find the real pickings! Starting down the trail, there are two branches shortly. Take the left, also marked with an orange tag on a bush, and end up here, in the heart of the Quarry. There is probably a square mile or more covered with Limestone fossil leavings, and many unmined fossil ridges still above the field areas.  These are devonian fossils, mostly stromatolite but also corals and sponges, and shells. I am told the people have found trilobites as well, the suspect they are much more rare. Fossil material is everywhere here in great abundance. Going back to the Trail, follow it to the right this time. It will curve around the back of the Shale pile and you will see this. Part of an old mine tube here has been made into a hibernation shelter for the little brown bat switch live here. And placoderms! Look for blue on the rock for devonian Fish bones. The Plachoderm fossils are in the southern half of the Quarry - look for blue specks on the rock. The Quarry has the following formations. Rockport Quarry Limestone, Belle shale, genshaw formation and I do believe that the Ferron Point formation occurs there also. The Bell Shale, good for crinoids, is mostly dump piles along a drainage ditch on the east side of the Quarry. Hard to miss as it mostly gray mud these days. Some nice fossils are found in that mud, especially if it has rained and someone else has not beaten you to the spot."

I also have a note that says,

"Check False Presque Isle, East side of peninsula for giant snails"

Check that one at your own risk, because I haven't, I and don't know anything about ownership  (but I assume it's beach / shoreline)

First, Rockport is a self serve park and there is a self serve payment spot by the parking lot.  You will need the correct amount to drop into the slot. No one there to give you change.  You can take 25 lbs of rock home to Florida.  

Evergreen cemetery is the Radio station site. It is on the west side of Evergreen cemetery at the intersection of Bagley and Burkholder roads.  It is a ditch on the north side of Burholder road. 

45° 6'19.83"N  83°24'45.06"W, This is the quarry that I know as Northern Quarry.  I hear the name has changed.  Check there as they tend to let you in.  Our group got in there about a month ago.  Forget the LaFarge quarry.  They won't let you in. 

45° 4'30.11"N  83°24'53.69"W  Dumps on either side of this road use to be good.  Can be overgrown. 

Any road cut or construction site will produce fossils.  Stop at all of them.  They are all over the county but many are overgrown. 

• 1 month later...