Windmill Site, Nuevo Mexico

Pilobolus

Back to the windmill site 2 weekends ago and just now uploading the pics...It was a short trip, so didn't find much, but I did enjoy great fall weather, and some really cool calcite-infilled clams,,,

dirty spath.jpg

Spath_Cleaned up.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

What a cool looking place to collect fossils!

Glad you were able to get out, sir! 

Thanks for the report.  :) 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 11/16/2017 at 11:35 AM, ynot said:

Nice finds and formation picture.

What was in the hole?

I'm guessing any one of the possible woodrat/packrat species that live in this part of the country. They develop these huge middens of cactus parts, twigs and such. These can develop to really deep, thousand year old piles of debris, feces and urine, which can be investigated for the pollen that was incorporated into the pile, which can then tell you about prehistorical plant communities and climate.

One interesting thing about this midden, is it seems to be in a hole that had a fireplace, I'm guessing, by the look of the discolorations on the sandstone

On 11/16/2017 at 6:00 PM, Jeffrey P said:

Very nice finds Brian. Your finds and pictures make me homesick for there. Congratulations.

Any time friend!  Come on back!

• I found this Informative 1