Odd shaped bone?

Ash

Anyone have any idea what bone this is? Never found one like it before. Pleistocene of Australia.

IMG_0797.PNG

IMG_0798.PNG

IMG_0796.PNG

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Looks marine. Skull element of some sort? Possible brain case of marine reptile or fish.....

Edit: It resembles a fish vert, but i don't think it is. 

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

May we have a pic from the top down and the bottom? Meaning the vertebral body serface. 

You’ve provided a few side shots, but they’re from and angle so a straight on view of the dorsal side or the side where the pedicle of the lamina attach to the vertebra, the side with the spineous process may be helpful.

Vertebra from the neck will look very different from those of the tailbone area or middle back. So pics from the top down give a lot of info.

The diagram may be helpful.

The last pic looks like the dorsal side of the vertebra where the pedicle was once attached.

0314A4DC-F054-4870-A2A3-6F228323EADA.jpeg

I don't think this is a fish vertebra. Keep in mind that if it is a fish vert, it would have been a freshwater fish.

Also, I'm not really seeing any big resemblance to a fish vertebra here, it is mammalian.

Could it be the proximal end of a scapula ? 

The texture doesn't look fishy to me either.  

2 hours ago, Foozil said:

Keep in mind that if it is a fish vert, it would have been a freshwater fish.

Could you explain why this would have to be ?

8 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Could it be the proximal end of a scapula ? 

The texture doesn't look fishy to me either.  

Could you explain why this would have to be ?

It's from over 180 kms inland(correct me if I'm wrong), and would have been even further from the ocean during the Pleistocene, so would have to be from a freshwater system (not saying that distance from the ocean always means freshwater). There are other reasons such as fauna that indicate a freshwater system though, like certain fish and freshwater bivalves. 

19 minutes ago, Foozil said:

It's from over 180 kms inland(correct me if I'm wrong), and would have been even further from the ocean during the Pleistocene, so would have to be from a freshwater system (not saying that distance from the ocean always means freshwater). There are other reasons such as fauna that indicate a freshwater system though, like certain fish and freshwater bivalves. 

Ah ! 

Unrecognized context. 

Lori's guess reminds me that there was a giant varanid in the Pleistocene of OZ.  Megalania or Varanus priscus.  I don't know much about varanid vertebrae.  Anyone?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

They're sort of cross shaped Image result for varanid vertebraimage.jpeg.4ed4f2bebb25bc2b58c919e00b04be9e.jpegImage result for varanid vertebra

Even without the processes it doesn't look a match to me. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I'll get up the requested pics tommorow morning with access to better internet. Thanks guys.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Fresh new pics. Hope these help.

Thanks guys and gals.

IMG_0839.PNG

IMG_0840.PNG

IMG_0841.PNG

IMG_0842.PNG

IMG_0843.PNG

IMG_0844.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

Interesting find, not my area but I get the feel of something around the pelvic area. So waiting for a positive ID.

Ash you could send images to the Queensland museum via there website. 

Mike

I'll be going back down there soon so will take it then.