What is this thing?

RiverHunter312

Hello all! 

I am so happy to find this amazing forum. I love looking through all the amazing things people are finding! It's a great site.

I have returned to the same place in this river I have found a bunch of interesting objects and animal teeth.

Today, even though it was very cold, I did some river hunting when the sun was out and made it fairly decent.  I came across this odd stone or object. I have been going to this same stretch of river ofr about 6 months now, have purchased a few geology books and searched online but haven't come across something like this yet. I just have no idea what this is.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your time, I greatly appreciate your feedback!

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

It is a very interesting object, but it looks geologic to me, not a fossil. 

But hopefully someone will come along to prove me wrong. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

What river? Where?

This information should be included with all ID requests, even if You have posted other threads with the information.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It seems the link I pasted from the original post didn't appear. Sorry about that.

This is from DuPage River, western suburbs of Chicago. Northern Illinois.

28 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It is a very interesting object, but it looks geologic to me, not a fossil. 

But hopefully someone will come along to prove me wrong. 

I did at first think it was a fossil but I don't think now it is. I believe it is stone but it is so odd I figured maybe someone here would have a clue. The equidistant notches along the ridges are very odd. It almost looks like wormholes but it is stone. It does look a little like pictures I have seen of petrified wood with worm holes but that's just a similar comparison.

I just have no idea.

Reminds me of a worn quartz rock, I’ve seen some pretty funky shapes with them in rivers over here.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

7 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Reminds me of a worn quartz rock, I’ve seen some pretty funky shapes with them in rivers over here.

Thank you for the feedback. I will look into the quartz angle!