Possible Crinoid?

RiverHunter312

Hello!

This is from DuPage River, western suburbs of Chicago. Northern Illinois.

I found this interesting stone and originally thought of it as a Native American grinding stone. When I looked closer at it through my macro lens I noticed this odd screw type shape. Looking through various sites it appears to be a crinoid. Any thoughts?

Thank you for your time!

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0505.JPG

241_0037.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

I'd agree that you have a segment of Crinoid stem in that rock.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Nice! It's such an odd stone. There are weird grooves inside the bowl shape. Cool piece.

Thank you both for your input!

You've got a piece of Silurian aged dolomite from the sugar run formation. It covers a vast portion of NE Illinois.  I'd be willing to bet the rounded groove was where a small geode was once positioned.  I've found many examples just like it out along the shores of the Fox River. 

• I found this Informative 3

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

2 hours ago, Rob Russell said:

You've got a piece of Silurian aged dolomite from the sugar run formation. It covers a vast portion of NE Illinois.  I'd be willing to bet the rounded groove was where a small geode was once positioned.  I've found many examples just like it out along the shores of the Fox River. 

Thank you for this information! My studies have always been about the people and culture and now the last year I have been trying to branch out into the geological aspects. I wish the geode was still there!

I love the Fox River and enjoy hiking, fishing and river hunting all around there.  The Geneva/St/ Charles/Batavia area is really nice.

Thank you again for the information!

Happy holidays to you!

3 hours ago, Shamalama said:

I'd agree that you have a segment of Crinoid stem in that rock.

I checked out your blog that's linked from your bio and you have some great pieces on there! Very cool!

17 hours ago, RiverHunter312 said:

Thank you for this information! My studies have always been about the people and culture and now the last year I have been trying to branch out into the geological aspects. I wish the geode was still there!

I love the Fox River and enjoy hiking, fishing and river hunting all around there.  The Geneva/St/ Charles/Batavia area is really nice.

Thank you again for the information!

Happy holidays to you!

I checked out your blog that's linked from your bio and you have some great pieces on there! Very cool!

Indeed.  I grew up there in the tri cities.  The river edge is lined with outcrops of that same Silurian aged dolomite.  Most everything I have pictured in my photos was found down there. 

Happy hunting!

Rob. 

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.