Can't figure this one out.

Nic333

I've found lots of cow verts on riverbanks where I live in NE Kansas. Bovid vertebrae are pretty distinctive in terms of Midwestern USA mammals. The size, shape and proportions are all right to be from a cow. 

CD

The trouble i'm having now is the second one a domestic cow or bison. It seems to resembled Bison bison is size and appearance according to what i'm finding on

google. 

If you posted more pictures I could probably help you tell if it is Bison or cow. Try posting some pictures of the side of the vertebrae.

CD

Sorry for the bombardment of questions but i'm still in the early stages of this and don't have much advisement. While you are still hang around these were found by a friend of mine near the same spot. We initially thought they were Bison but something about it doesn't seem right? 

leg.jpg

leg 2.jpg

1 hour ago, coled18 said:

I am leaning towards Bison Bison on this one, but I am not sure. This should help you to distinguish Bison bones from cows (Bos Taurus), so you can decide for yourself. Comparisons for Thoracic Vertebrae start on page 45. https://archive.org/details/syllogeus71nati

I was looking at the same document ...page 78, 79. (Unfortunately the time to edit was too long for me and I know where was the problem, not in TFF in any case.) :wacko:
BTW, good document.

vertebrae.jpg.dc9317f4b190d6f73ec7c266d4f6c8b0.thumb.jpg.1778dfb0c2270d97f3e8d41481ac9e71.jpg2selection_2.thumb.jpg.368437091bbc3a9f5686f09744248f65.jpg2selection_1.thumb.jpg.59ddb9b5e2bc27e0ee30f341b93b613d.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Upon closer inspection, your first vertebrae that you showed may be from a Bison Bison. I was quick to jump to a conclusion, and I knew that it was bovid, so I said cow. The indent on the articular processes is what gives it away to me. The articular processes curve downwards, which is something I have not seen on a cow lumbar vert.

CD