Is this skull an authentic fossil?

bugpuncher

Hello everyone.  I am coming to you with a request for help with an item I want to sell on eBay.  We picked it up at an estate sale and know nothing at all about its origin.

I'm not into fossils, beyond picking up crinoid segments here on our property.  So forgive my ignorance.

I believe this is a modern skull which someone embedded into some sort of cement-like substance in order to create a "fossil."  I'm hoping that's not the case, naturally, but even if so we plan to sell it as a novelty, clearly identified as a fake.

It's 4.5" long from the front to the back.

I appreciate any and all help with this.  Thanks!

IMG_6941.jpg

IMG_6944.jpg

IMG_6945.jpg

IMG_6946.jpg

looks like an authentic fossil of an oreodont from the badlands of South Dakota (compare with Merycoidodon culbertsoni ). I think its real, but I'll wait for more experienced collectors in this field to weigh in 

I think it real, but maybe @jpc can verify

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Search the auction site you mentioned for "oreodont skull."

From the photos alone, your piece has the appearance of a partial oreodont skull and lower jaw. It would be from the badlands and round about 30 million years old (Oligocene). It would be from the White River Formation.

Again, from the photos alone it appears "real," that is, an actual fossil. The matrix seems a bit darker tan in color than I am used to seeing, but that may be in the photography. 

Good luck, have fun.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Oreodont.  Does that mean it has specialized teeth for eating Oreos?  Sorry, could not resist.  You guys are awesome!!  

20 minutes ago, bugpuncher said:

Oreodont.  Does that mean it has specialized teeth for eating Oreos?

That would be more logical, but in reality, its name is "mountain tooth". 

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I"ll toss in my vote for it being an authentic partial oreodont skull but I'd lean a little more heavily toward the Miniochoerus gracile line than Merycoidodon culbertsoni.  Here's what an intact (and unrestored) Miniochoerus gracile looks like:

med_gallery_330_105_184105.jpg

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

You guys are the best.  God bless you all, and thanks so much!  I did some reading on this site and elsewhere about fake fossils and it seems they are so common that the chances of this one being authentic were pretty small.  I knew the bone was actual bone due to the sutures, but the matrix seemed too uniform.  Husband says Sacrete and Quikrete are not as dense as this material but we still didn't know.  Thanks for being such a help.  I'm going to wait for a few more opinions here on this forum before I put the thing up for sale.

Yup...White River oreodont skull.  Probably not form SoDak.  Nebraska or right here in Wyoming.  SoDak Whiter River fossils tend to have a lot of red and pink staining.   Yes, it is a genuine 35 million year old fossil.  

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, John Brewer!

3 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

If you plan on selling it on a well known auction site, I'll be keeping an eye out. It's a beauty.

I certainly do, probably later this evening.  Will need to do some research to find a reasonable price.