russob

So I have posted some of the amazing petrified bones I have found from a special excavation site. I do not know what dinosaur it is, but it is huge. These were found off of a riverbank, in Edmonton Alberta and I have hundreds from the same site. I believe one picture is of a horn? Maybe another is vertebrate from a back? Any input please.

20171128_143612_resized.jpg

20171128_143600_resized.jpg

Here is 2 more

20171128_143649_resized.jpg

20171128_143514_resized.jpg

I am curious as to more information.Is it a horn? or a broken limb. Backbones? There is teeth impressions I have encased in some rock so Im thinking a meat eater. 

20171128_143529_resized.jpg

Your first image is unrecognizable from just that image.  Would need to see more views.  I don't think it's a horn.

Your second photos look like vertebrae centrums.  They appear to be dinosaurian and the two on the right possibly from a hadrosaur would need more images of the one on the left.   Your third image might be a tibia but difficult to say with just one image.   Your next two images are large bone fragments hard.  Move pictures might help especially of end views

• I found this Informative 2

You’ve got some VERY interesting pieces there. Lots more photos under better lighting (try outside) will help ID immensely. 

Im not sure you’re allowed to collect in that area tho. :wacko:

9 minutes ago, russob said:

lol. Im trying to collect all of it. Make my own dino. Looks like great artwork in the corner of the living room

It may well look great in the living room but you must realise that if you’ve found more than a couple of bits and you think there’s more it could be scientifically important.

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Your first image is unrecognizable from just that image.  Would need to see more views.  I don't think it's a horn.

Your second photos look like vertebrae centrums.  They appear to be dinosaurian and the two on the right possibly from a hadrosaur would need more images of the one on the left.   Your third image might be a tibia but difficult to say with just one image.   Your next two images are large bone fragments hard.  Move pictures might help especially of end views

You nailed it dead on. Vertbrae centrums gave it away. The bigger one is LUMBAR VERTEBRA .

found here...https://www.paleodirect.com/dbx013-edmontosaurus-hadrosaur-dinosaur-lumbar-vertebra-evidence-disease/

Amazing finds! 

Any chance of pictures of the rest of the bits you've found?

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I don't think the horn is a horn.  When I think horn from that area, I think ceratopsian and ceratopsians have a distinctive texture on their horns.  This thing is too smooth.  But I have no idea what it might be.  troodon has made good IDs on the others.   I wonder if the larger of the verts is an ankylosaur?  Or do you think these are all form one animal.  It has some pretty big foramina on the sides... I think that is seen in ankylosaurs.

• I found this Informative 2

10 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Amazing finds! 

Any chance of pictures of the rest of the bits you've found?

I have big blue tupperware containers in the garage filled with these bones. Most are encrusted in dirt? the ones below are the ones that I have on display in my living room. I will post way more in next couple days. The bigger ones weigh in excess of thirty pounds. Very heavy

20171128_164232_resized.jpg

Yeah we need to see end o views and a few other angles if possible.  Esp the two bones below the 30 to 40 cm's on the tape measure.   

I am curious as to how you think you have 25 percent of the beast... 

You are correct in prob do not have 30 percent, but I have 10-20 times the amount shown.  I did not know it was this big.I just got an understanding to what it was today. I didnt even no for sure it was dinosaur, but now I am convinced. I am just an amateur that likes to pick rocks, lol. I do have some of the head ,the teeth anyhow; although they are encased in stone, mud substance. Lots of big heavy bones. Tons of small ones that make up something bigger. Some more vertabrae. The ones in the picture are the cleaned up, nicer ones in my opinion, thats why they are my display bones. Tomorrow I will take a picture of everything 

The two smaller vertebrae are caudal not dorsals.  Your photos of the larger one are at obtuse angles and hard to determine what it is.  Can you take photos be straight in one's all sides.  

40 minutes ago, jpc said:

I don't think the horn is a horn.  When I think horn from that area, I think ceratopsian and ceratopsians have a distinctive texture on their horns.  This thing is too smooth.  But I have no idea what it might be.  troodon has made good IDs on the others.   I wonder if the larger of the verts is an ankylosaur?  Or do you think these are all form one animal.  It has some pretty big foramina on the sides... I think that is seen in ankylosaurs.

All of these were found in the exact same spot leading me to believe same dinosaur. Perhaps more than one type passed away in the same spot. I am certain its an edmontosaures. Same name as the city I found it in. I read they grow 40 feet long so the big bones probably from same specimen. Interesting thing is in the same spot I found this dinosaur, I have found 8 or so different stone tools. Maybe Natives back in the day were hanging out in the same spot.

If you have excavated these have you kept photos of precisely where from and in relation to other pieces?or were they dumped post mortum in odd bits and pieces?

3 minutes ago, Yvie said:

If you have excavated these have you kept photos of precisely where from and in relation to other pieces?or were they dumped post mortum in odd bits and pieces?

They are all found on a rivers edge. I am at the point were I am reaching in the water and pulling bones up. No photos all though I may start as I am new too all this. When I am bored I walk the river valley and look for treats like these. I believe pieces are scattered, not kept in a tact skeleton. 

47 minutes ago, jpc said:

Yeah we need to see end o views and a few other angles if possible.  Esp the two bones below the 30 to 40 cm's on the tape measure.   

I am curious as to how you think you have 25 percent of the beast... 

Not sure what o view or ESP means. Im not sure what bones is below the 30-40cm mark. The long skinny one in3 pieces or the enlarged "chicken wing" shaped one(2 pieces)

Trying to identify the species of hadrosaur from post cranial elements is not possible since there is nothing diagnostic to differentiate them.  You need skull elements to ID it to a species.  I believe you are in the Horseshoe Canyon Formation and currently there are three hadrosaurs described from that formation: Edmontosaurus, Hypacrosaurus and Saurolophus so the two smaller vertebra can be from any one of those hadrosaurs.

I also agree with jpc that we do not know if these bones belong to the same animal.  Your site could be a channel deposit that is a collection of bones from different animals or from a single animal.  For example your "horned" specimen does not resemble any bone I'm familiar with in a hadro and open to suggestions.

• I found this Informative 5

You might find this paper useful in looking at what skull elements look like and there is an overall reconstruction of an Edmontosaurus skeleton.

Xing H, Mallon JC, Currie ML (2017) Supplementary cranial description of the types of Edmontosaurus regalis (Ornithischia: Hadrosauridae), with comments on the phylogenetics and biogeography of Hadrosaurinae. PLoS ONE 12(4): e0175253. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0175253

14-paleontologi.jpg.fa29c1803094a8dc43eb3a6ccf3249ba.jpg

• I found this Informative 4