Claw fossil. Microraptor ?

MedicineHat

Sadly I know almost nothing of Dinos but I do have some suggestions for you. It will help a lot if you say where you found this and if you can describe the geology of the area. Explaining what leads you to believe it is a Dino claw might give us and edge since you have the specimen and can study it much better than we can through pictures. Also taking a photo or two next to a ruler or giving a discription if it’s size is super helpful since hands vary greatly in size. (You probably want to take a closeup of the base if past experience is anything to go by) @Troodon quite good at this sort of out of the blue dino ids though... good luck!

• I found this Informative 1

The area is Sand and clay. It's southeastern Alberta south sask. River. Belly river group formation. 

20171202_072033-273x346.jpg

20171202_071947-427x384.jpg

20171202_071724-416x504.jpg

20171202_071647-588x677.jpg

20171202_071305.jpg

20171202_071156.jpg

Unsure of the specimen being a claw as there is no evidence of the typical uniform groove on either side that I would expect to see.

The photos below are cretaceous bird but still from the general family group.

Mike

Claw 13-9-15 side view.jpg

small claw 2.JPG

Im certain its a claw section. I believe it has evidence of grooves on each side. I have attached a similar looking specimen. 090316-dino-bones-banner.jpg.e1cfb8bebaae54638e77a01683324331.jpg

20171202_071647-588x677.jpg

Another comparison. This is hysperonichus aka north America micro raptor found in upper oldman formation, Alberta, canada

Hesperonychusclaw.jpg

Thanks for the invite @Troodon.

My opinion is that it is a dromaeosaurid sickle claw, from the distal portion of the tip. Most likely a Saurornitholestine. It’s too large to be a Microraptorine sickle claw as in from Hesperonychus. 

If it were my claw portion, I would label it:

Dromaeosauridae (Saurornitholestine?) sp. indet.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks Henry @hxmendoza

I haven't had a chance today to look at the new photos too much Christmas decorating and Football. I'm with you now that I can clearly see the blood grooves on both sides.  It's Dromaeosaurus indet.  Sure could be saurornitholestes

From RTMP

IMG_0705.thumb.JPG.23aef8659f409267616a026f1868a2a4.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

20 hours ago, hxmendoza said:

Thanks for the invite @Troodon.

My opinion is that it is a dromaeosaurid sickle claw, from the distal portion of the tip. Most likely a Saurornitholestine. It’s too large to be a Microraptorine sickle claw as in from Hesperonychus. 

If it were my claw portion, I would label it:

Dromaeosauridae (Saurornitholestine?) sp. indet.

Thanks a bunch hxmendoza. I was considering the options of small dromeosurids in the area and I was curious if someone else would echo my thoughts. However, I value your experience and others a lot, so I appreciate the effort to help me out!

Rod

19 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks Henry @hxmendoza

I haven't had a chance today to look at the new photos too much Christmas decorating and Football. I'm with you now that I can clearly see the blood grooves on both sides.  It's Dromaeosaurus indet.  Sure could be saurornitholestes

From RTMP

Thanks Troodon, Always so helpful!

21 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks Henry @hxmendoza

From RTMP

Great, and very useful photo. Thanks for posting it!

1 hour ago, MedicineHat said:

Thanks a bunch hxmendoza. I was considering the options of small dromeosurids in the area and I was curious if someone else would echo my thoughts. However, I value your experience and others a lot, so I appreciate the effort to help me out!

Rod

Happy to help.